I want ALL THIS SMOKE!

GrillDad

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I am very excited to join the Traeger family with my Pro 575 arriving in a few days. My wife must really love me.

What are some tips / tricks for a new owner on assembly, wifi, wood pellets, cook times or recipes. I am new to smoking and have never used a pellet grill.

Planning on st louis ribs and brisket to start out! Got my meat church rubs and meat mitch sauce en route as well.

- GrillDad

Season your grill slowly
have a 2.4 GHz network ready
get ready for some great grilling
google ‘’Traeger recipes
’...

I am a big fan of the smoked salmon recipe that Amanda Haas put on Traeger’s YouTube - it is a must! Ribs will be good, watch Meat Church’s video on Traeger’s YouTube on what to do. I would also recommend going into Aaron Franklin’s YouTube channel, yes he is using an offset smoker but I find is great for techniques etc. Good luck and welcome to the forum, lots of info on here too!

I'd suggest you start with a spatchcock Chicken. Much more forgiving than ribs and a big crowd pleaser. Super smoke (smoke below 225) for an hour. then 350 until 175 internal probe.

Before you cook, watch YouTube videos of people doing the same thing on pellet grills. I am still new but have been having great luck watching others and then doing it myself. Sometimes I follow exactly and other times I do my own thing.

stock up on needed accessories. Including foil pans, different rubs, grilling tools, a good meat thermometer, pink/peach butcher paper, and heavy duty foil to start.

Congrats on your new smoking tool!

Before you cook, watch YouTube videos of people doing the same thing on pellet grills. I am still new but have been having great luck watching others and then doing it myself. Sometimes I follow exactly and other times I do my own thing.

stock up on needed accessories. Including foil pans, different rubs, grilling tools, a good meat thermometer, pink/peach butcher paper, and heavy duty foil to start.

Congrats on your new smoking tool!
The foil! Im glad you mentioned that. What about the butcher paper. What do I use that for? (Total noob...)

The foil! Im glad you mentioned that. What about the butcher paper. What do I use that for? (Total noob...)
Wrap beef in instead of using foil. It helps with bark. Watch a lot of YouTube. Search pellet grill brisket. Search for other things. Search “Meat Church” and watch his videos. A lot to educate yourself and to ensure really good first cooks.

Below is a chuck roast coming out of butcher paper after finishing the cook. I used Meat Church rubs.

Attachments

• C735ED84-C02D-4CAE-A23E-CD9A05EAED79.jpeg
    C735ED84-C02D-4CAE-A23E-CD9A05EAED79.jpeg
    644.2 KB · Views: 26
Wrap beef in instead of using foil. It helps with bark. Watch a lot of YouTube. Search pellet grill brisket. Search for other things. Search “Meat Church” and watch his videos. A lot to educate yourself and to ensure really good first cooks.

Below is a chuck roast coming out of butcher paper after finishing the cook. I used Meat Church rubs.
Boom! Great advice! I ordered a roll of Pink Butcher paper, heavy duty foil, foil pans ( for burnt ends) and bbq gloves (the cotton liners and the nitrile glove combo). Meat Church rubs arrived, and so did my GrillGrates and GrillGrubber grill brush. I am fully outfitted and very excited.

Boom! Great advice! I ordered a roll of Pink Butcher paper, heavy duty foil, foil pans ( for burnt ends) and bbq gloves (the cotton liners and the nitrile glove combo). Meat Church rubs arrived, and so did my GrillGrates and GrillGrubber grill brush. I am fully outfitted and very excited.
You are doing well grasshopper! Be sure to review YouTube smoking videos as you will learn a lot!

Don’t forget a quality instant read meat thermometer.

Can you post a link to the gloves? Thanks!
I have not recieved these yet, so its at your own risk. But in theory these are what people are using.

And then cover with nitrile gloves. I got these, but again, they havent arrived so I dont know about the quality but the reviews were decent:

You can probably find the nitrile gloves a LOT cheaper. I got purple ones at Harbor Freight i think for 8 or 9 bucks but that was pre-pandemic.

Good luck!

I'd suggest you start with a spatchcock Chicken. Much more forgiving than ribs and a big crowd pleaser. Super smoke (smoke below 225) for an hour. then 350 until 175 internal probe.
This. I did a spatchcock but took it off at 165. It was still good and juicy, buy wait until 170-175 for crispier skin.

This is the journey, trying the different methods and deciding what you like best.

I've now cooked 5 Briskets, wrapped in foil and pink butcher paper, fat side down and fat side up. Personally I like fat side up, and foil wrap results better, but this is just my preference.

I've cooked a bunch of ribs now as well, and prefer foil wrap for fall off the bone tender. Some others prefer more "bite" so they forego wrapping at all.

It's all great fun and even a less than perfect result usually still tastes good.

Back