I need more smoke from my Pro 780

Oilpony

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
NEd some advice. I bought a Pro 780 back in November. After I realized this particular model did not have the “smoke” feature I was not thrilled. I called the dealer and they would not take it back since I had used it twice. I called Traeger and nothing they can do. I should have paid more attention during the purchase, I accept that. Here’s my question, How can I enhance the smoke during a cook? Does anyone know or tried to place additional chips somewhere in the Traeger to enhance the smoke?
your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Feedback I have seen is to run the grill at 180 degrees to maximize smoke, or go with smoke tubes to enhance ...

Someone else including me had the same concern. What I did was set the temp to 170 for 1hr and got smoke. The lower the temp, the more it seems to smolder. Traeger says the blue smoke is what they were going for with the grills. Honest the pulled pork I did last weekend had a perfect amount of smoke with me temping it at 170 for about an hour, and doing my normal cook at 225 to 235.

I agree with Bruce. I'll typically start some of my cooks under 200 with super smoke (ironwood 650) before kicking it up. Lower the temp, more smoke. What kind of woods are you going with? Mesquite and Hickory tend to produce more smoke compared to fruits. I also start my cooks without letting the meat come to room temperature so it's more time to absorb smoke. I was doubtful one my first time making ribs as I didn't see a ton of smoke exiting but sure enough, beautiful smoke ring on the ribs.

thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give the lower temp for more smoke method

I use a smoke tube in addition to the lower temp. Amazon has a variety of styles very cheap. You will pay double the price (like I did) at a Traeger dealer.

I get very little smoke from my Silverton I got at Costco. I feel I shouldn't have to purchase a SS tube and go that route to get a good amount of smoke. I'm tempted to return it to Costco and go with another brand.

NEd some advice. I bought a Pro 780 back in November. After I realized this particular model did not have the “smoke” feature I was not thrilled. I called the dealer and they would not take it back since I had used it twice. I called Traeger and nothing they can do. I should have paid more attention during the purchase, I accept that. Here’s my question, How can I enhance the smoke during a cook? Does anyone know or tried to place additional chips somewhere in the Traeger to enhance the smoke?
Unfortunately I had the same experience when I bought mine, very disappointing and there is nothing you can do about it. It simply doesn't not produce smoke, at all! Everyone beware of this model, it costs $1000 and doesn't have a smoke setting. Also, I have never been able to connect it to WIFI and support keeps disconnecting me when I call.

Someone else including me had the same concern. What I did was set the temp to 170 for 1hr and got smoke. The lower the temp, the more it seems to smolder. Traeger says the blue smoke is what they were going for with the grills. Honest the pulled pork I did last weekend had a perfect amount of smoke with me temping it at 170 for about an hour, and doing my normal cook at 225 to 235. Posted this above.

Unfortunately I had the same experience when I bought mine, very disappointing and there is nothing you can do about it. It simply doesn't not produce smoke, at all! Everyone beware of this model, it costs $1000 and doesn't have a smoke setting. Also, I have never been able to connect it to WIFI and support keeps disconnecting me when I call.
Stewart, have you split your WiFi so you have both 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz?

Regarding issues with connecting WiFIRE to your Home Wi-Fi ...

First step in troubleshooting issues with WiFIRE: One thing to verify on your end is the need to use separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless frequencies - depending on what WiFi Router/Access Point you use, as well as what mobile device you are using to run the app on, it may be a requirement ... when the network names are the same, and if your mobile device supports 5GHz, the mobile device will by default attach to the 5GHz frequency, while the Grill is connected on the 2.4GHz frequency, resulting in no connection between the App and the Grill ... giving one of the wireless network frequencies a different name allows you to "force" the mobile device to attach to the 2.4GHz network and successfully connect ...

I call my IOT-based device Wireless Networks...
idIOT
idIOT 5GHz
...to support this specific scenario

Additional troubleshooting scenarios and information listed here:
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-controllers
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-troubleshooting

WiFIRE Troubleshooting Wizard: http://wizard.web.traegergrills.io/wifire/welcome

-------------------------

Failed / Hung Setup of WiFIRE | Airplane Mode Workaround

ISSUE: Multiple people have reported that the initial setup of WiFIRE will fail/hang before completion ... this is due to the App device defaulting back to the "preferred" 5GHz Wireless Network after handing off the necessary 2.4GHz Wireless Network information to the Grill (Network Name (SSID), Encryption Type, Password). The App Device MUST reconnect back to the 2.4GHz Home Wireless Network in order for the setup process to successfully complete.

WORKAROUND: The best way to eliminate the failed/hung setup state for WiFIRE is to first put your App Device into Airplane Mode, then manually turn Wi-Fi back on, then "forget" the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, then connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and start the setup process from the beginning ... this eliminates any potential issues with regards to the App Device reconnecting back to the wrong (i.e. 5GHz) Home Wi-Fi Network during the setup process ... once the setup process has successfully completed, you can take the App Device out of Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the 5GHz Wireless network on your App Device (if desired) ...

Regarding issues with connecting WiFIRE to your Home Wi-Fi ...

First step in troubleshooting issues with WiFIRE: One thing to verify on your end is the need to use separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless frequencies - depending on what WiFi Router/Access Point you use, as well as what mobile device you are using to run the app on, it may be a requirement ... when the network names are the same, and if your mobile device supports 5GHz, the mobile device will by default attach to the 5GHz frequency, while the Grill is connected on the 2.4GHz frequency, resulting in no connection between the App and the Grill ... giving one of the wireless network frequencies a different name allows you to "force" the mobile device to attach to the 2.4GHz network and successfully connect ...

I call my IOT-based device Wireless Networks...
idIOT
idIOT 5GHz
...to support this specific scenario

Additional troubleshooting scenarios and information listed here:
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-controllers
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-troubleshooting

WiFIRE Troubleshooting Wizard: http://wizard.web.traegergrills.io/wifire/welcome

-------------------------

Failed / Hung Setup of WiFIRE | Airplane Mode Workaround

ISSUE: Multiple people have reported that the initial setup of WiFIRE will fail/hang before completion ... this is due to the App device defaulting back to the "preferred" 5GHz Wireless Network after handing off the necessary 2.4GHz Wireless Network information to the Grill (Network Name (SSID), Encryption Type, Password). The App Device MUST reconnect back to the 2.4GHz Home Wireless Network in order for the setup process to successfully complete.

WORKAROUND: The best way to eliminate the failed/hung setup state for WiFIRE is to first put your App Device into Airplane Mode, then manually turn Wi-Fi back on, then "forget" the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, then connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and start the setup process from the beginning ... this eliminates any potential issues with regards to the App Device reconnecting back to the wrong (i.e. 5GHz) Home Wi-Fi Network during the setup process ... once the setup process has successfully completed, you can take the App Device out of Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the 5GHz Wireless network on your App Device (if desired) ...
Thank you for the information. I believe you are spot on regarding using different names for the 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies. I didn’t know why mine worked so well but I named my 5Ghz band differently from the start so that explains it.

I get very little smoke from my Silverton I got at Costco. I feel I shouldn't have to purchase a SS tube and go that route to get a good amount of smoke. I'm tempted to return it to Costco and go with another brand.
You have the same controller as I without the smoke setting And every time I look at the Silverton I kick myself for buying the Pro. The smoke tube costs only $16 on Amazon and it produces smoke at all temperatures - quick easy fix and you paid $200 less than I did and got the storage cabinet and shelves for free. Smoke under 180* for a period then bring the temp up to your internal temp via WiFi. Easy peasy and you don’t have to be home to babysit it.

I am so disappointed in this grill. I bought this brand for smoking. It says smoker and it won’t smoke. I already have $2,000. Weber grills. I wanted a great smoker and all I get is another grill. How do I get this to smoke

Back