I just destroyed my Traeger before I cooked anything...

diputs

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Yup! You read that right. I just destroyed my Traeger 575 Pro (I think). Out of sheer excitement, I got home and saw the box waiting on me. I couldn't wait to put the thing together. I unpacked everything, started my assembly and within 30 minutes it was complete! I started looking online for my next steps, and saw the "Season your Traeger" video. I opened up the video on YouTube and started following the steps. About an hour later, the app sent me a message saying that my timer was finished. I started the shutdown cycle, and once it finished I opened the lid to the grill. That's when I noticed it, staring right at me, mocking me. I didn't take off the protective cover on the internal temperature probe inside the grill. I pulled on it, and to my surprise it came off, but pulled out the 2 wires and a portion of the tip came off as well (In my defense, there was NOTHING on the instructions that said take off the orange plastic thingy covering the thermometer). Of course all this happens after Traeger is closed, so I scoured the internet for advice, replacement parts, and others that shamefully committed the same atrocious mistake I did, but found nothing in all 3 of the categories I listed above.

Has anyone made this idiotic mistake? Did it end up costing anything or did the warranty cover it? Did you have to replace the entire D2 assembly, or just the thermometer.

Please feel free to laugh at my situation and call me names. I feel as dumb as you think I am. Thanks in advance.

If you use the contact page on the Traeger website, tell them simply that the RTD probe isn't working properly. The ESL folks they have on there might end up sending you all kinds of things to keep you happy!

Thermocoupler is replaceable just a little tedious. I taped a piece of thread to the old one when I pulled it out and taped it back onto the new one and pulled it up. Remove the two top screws/bolts on the hopper so it will lean out a little to give you more room and use a long screwdriver or rod to help push the new one up into place.

I needed the Control knob for the D2 Controller since mine came missing..They said they could not sent the knob so they sent me a new D2 Controller
I would call Traeger Customer Service and tell them what has happened and they should send you a new one...1 (800) 872-3437

Last edited:
Yup! You read that right. I just destroyed my Traeger 575 Pro (I think). Out of sheer excitement, I got home and saw the box waiting on me. I couldn't wait to put the thing together. I unpacked everything, started my assembly and within 30 minutes it was complete! I started looking online for my next steps, and saw the "Season your Traeger" video. I opened up the video on YouTube and started following the steps. About an hour later, the app sent me a message saying that my timer was finished. I started the shutdown cycle, and once it finished I opened the lid to the grill. That's when I noticed it, staring right at me, mocking me. I didn't take off the protective cover on the internal temperature probe inside the grill. I pulled on it, and to my surprise it came off, but pulled out the 2 wires and a portion of the tip came off as well (In my defense, there was NOTHING on the instructions that said take off the orange plastic thingy covering the thermometer). Of course all this happens after Traeger is closed, so I scoured the internet for advice, replacement parts, and others that shamefully committed the same atrocious mistake I did, but found nothing in all 3 of the categories I listed above.

Has anyone made this idiotic mistake? Did it end up costing anything or did the warranty cover it? Did you have to replace the entire D2 assembly, or just the thermometer.

Please feel free to laugh at my situation and call me names. I feel as dumb as you think I am. Thanks in advance.
Did exact same thing. I was lucky (for now). Still works. Maybe directions or a big tag...

Honestly, Traeger customer service is amazing (still not sure why they get such a bad wrap). I have had new complete grills, accessories and barrels shipped to me with little effort. Give them a call (request the call back feature) and explain to them it doesn’t work properly. I’m almost certain they’ll send a new one.

I just seasoned my new Silverton 810 yesterday, and never even heard of a protective cover on the internal temp probe. As my heart dropped, I just ran and opened up my grill. Luckily, there ain’t no cover on my probe. Or, if there was, it was burnt to ash during the seasoning. I hope the thing was never there in the first place .....

It's an orange pice of plastic with a silver flag that says "Remove before use." That being said, it's replaceable and is only a few bucks.

Dude, don't kick yourself. I'm sure we've all done similar things at some point in our lives. Good news is, you haven't ruined the grill. You've just lost a few bucks and time in getting a replacement for your thermocoupler. I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time. Happy Traegering!

Last edited:
Did the same thing, freaked out when I saw the melted orange plastic. I got it removed and luckily everything worked fine

Honestly, Traeger customer service is amazing (still not sure why they get such a bad wrap). I have had new complete grills, accessories and barrels shipped to me with little effort. Give them a call (request the call back feature) and explain to them it doesn’t work properly. I’m almost certain they’ll send a new one.

Consider yourself lucky.
I've been working with Traeger support for over six months, trying to get my wifire working. All I've received from them so far is a runaround.

What is this piece supposed to look like. I didn’t the same thing and saw the plastics piece afterward unsure if it will still work but am just curious what right looks like here

I was told a story from my local Traeger dealer about one of their customers who brought theirs home and didn't even bother to look inside first. They filled it up and turned it on and came back out 30 minutes later to melted plastic everywhere.

you're not alone. It's apparently a thing. not a common thing, but a Thing, none the less. I do hope it worked out in your favor.

No judgement here, we all have A story like that at some point in our lives. When you pull off the plastic tip you said wiring came out? Mine has what appears to be those wired tips. If you can tuck back in and have a chamber thermometer to compare with, I’d fire it back up and see if it’s accurate. Maybe nothing needed. If not the case, I’d take pictures, email to Traeger and tell them the situation. I’m betting you aren’t the first person to do it, and they have a solution, may just the a thermometer kit. And it may be they just mail you one for free. Good luck.

What is this piece supposed to look like. I didn’t the same thing and saw the plastics piece afterward unsure if it will still work but am just curious what right looks like here

Attached photo shows the orange cover & sticker ...

Attachments

• IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 433
Back