ironwood 650
Picked up a 650 last week ... non issues with getting it going

20lbs of Maple pellets

Did some sausages ... couldn’t really taste the smoke

Did some whole chickens ... same no smoky flavour

Did some chicken wings ... super smoke, couldn’t tell they were smoked

Did some pork ribs ... still can’t taste the smoke. Had it on super smoke

Not even a hint of smoke flavour

Meals turned out great, everyone enjoyed them, juicy and flavourful but cannot tell that it’s been smoked

You get a hint of maple when the 650 is smoking and you walk by it.

I had an electric smoker with wood chips and you can really taste the smoke on the food.

Is there a trick to get smoky meals?

What temp did you have the 650 at when you were using the Super Smoke option?

225f whole chicken
180f for wings
220f for ribs

Plus the super smoke won’t kick in unless I’m under 220f

Welcome to the world of pellet grills. If you are used to the flavors of a stick burner, lump, chips or charcoal you will be disappointed with the pellet grills. You can try adding a smoke tube, but it may not be enough. Another option is looking at a smoke generator, most of these you can use chips or wood chunks or lump charcoal.
I came off a weber kettle and a Komado grill, in my opinion the Traeger has none of the flavors those impart in foods. Even with a smoke tube. The smoke is there for sure, you can see it. If you do cheese or Paprika you can definitely taste it. With any of the protein meats it seems like you get a nice smoke ring without the flavor on the Traeger

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of pellet grills. If you are used to the flavors of a stick burner, lump, chips or charcoal you will be disappointed with the pellet grills. You can try adding a smoke tube, but it may not be enough. Another option is looking at a smoke generator, most of these you can use chips or wood chunks or lump charcoal.
I came off a webber kettle and a Komado grill, in my opinion the Traeger has none of the flavors those impart in foods. Even with a smoke tube. The smoke is there for sure, you can see it. If you do cheese or Paprika you can definitely taste it. With any of the protein meats it seems like you get a nice smoke ring without the flavor on the Traeger
Don’t tell me that!

Don’t tell me that!
Just my opinion. The food cooks very well in it the grill. But for the life of me I don't understand why the meats aren't picking up the flavor. The smoke is there....

My house smells delicious (as the 650 is near the back door), smoky smell to it but the food is missing that smoky smell.

Maybe try a different flavor pellet? Maple produces a sweet taste and is less smokey in my opinion. Mesquite or Hickory might give you something closer to what you're looking for.

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

I picked up a pro575 two weeks ago and I am also disappointed in the smoke flavor. Too subtle. I'll try the oak and or hickory pellets. I'm thinking of lowering the cap on the chimney, have any of you tired this? And what about a smoke tube?

I used Treager Oak and Hickory (not together)and got good smoke flavor.....

Yesterday I did some chicken breast and used hickory pellets , super smoke at 220f and there was a hint of hickory smoke to them once done.

You can slightly taste it.

The up side , I guess, is that while smoking the whole backyard smell awesome.

Back