I’m a dumbass

IrishRover540

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 895
Apparently I missed a sticker of something in my barrel. Seasoned my new 885 and opened to find a melted mess on what I’m guessing WAS the thermometer. My advice or guidance would be appreciated. Not sure how this will affect temp readings, they seem to kind of be bouncing all over.
7B1620F1-8651-4417-81AB-875385FD5702.jpeg
A13C55F7-194C-4C95-9B36-4DF0D1BD6496.jpeg
7B1620F1-8651-4417-81AB-875385FD5702.jpeg
A13C55F7-194C-4C95-9B36-4DF0D1BD6496.jpeg

Last edited:
I,d recommend you call Traeger CS. It tool me a month to get one for my 780. AND try what others have said to get you up and running. If it works, use it that way till it messes up then install the new one. Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

Ha, well, you are not the first. Somehow, during your adventure the protective small dab of ceramic material that coated the bare tip of the thermocouple has been removed. You can try putting a dab of high temp cement on it, or may need a new thermocouple probe.

Something like this to protect the tip;
Have a cook planned for tomorrow, already have the new thermo on the way from Traeger. Any foreseeable issues other than possible inaccurate temp readings using the smoker tomorrow?

Last edited:
Have a cook planned for tomorrow, already have the new thermo on the way from Traeger. Any foreseeable issues other than possible inaccurate temp readings using the smoker tomorrow?
The controller relies solely on that temp probe for feedback to know how to regulate the temperature. Before your planned cook, fire it up to a set temp like 250F and see how stable it holds. My guess is that it's OK as these thermocouples are more likely to either work or not work.

A undocumented technique is to take the old probe and lossen the mounting hardware.
pull the cable as far out as you can, then take the plug off the new probe (note the polarity )...
tape it as close to the frame as possible, then pull the old controller.
Unplug the old probe from the old controller and SLOWLY pull the new probe cable through., using the old probe cable as a pull. Once you have the new probe cable run you can replace the connector (polarity specific). Then take the old probe connector off and pull out the old probe. Then plug the new probe into the controller and replace hardware....

Last edited:
Ha, well, you are not the first. Somehow, during your adventure the protective small dab of ceramic material that coated the bare tip of the thermocouple has been removed. You can try putting a dab of high temp cement on it, or may need a new thermocouple probe.

Something like this to protect the tip;
Thanks!

If you own a 3rd party Temp Probe (cabled) you can put inside and mount right by your Traeger Probe then you can tell the "difference" in what you should set your temp to to achieve the temp you want

Thanks for all the help. Cook turned out great though I found I need to calibrate my meat
8E043B9D-7F00-48BF-AC24-1CCF06CB28ED.jpeg
probe, was reading about 45 degrees warmer than actual temps. Hopefully my new thermo will be here soon (backordered). Thank for all the help from everyone and the welcomes!!

Back