Help! How long does a bag of pallets last

Just got my Traeger and tried a 8 lb pork loin on it. Definitely will take a lot of trial and error to learn how to use it. Followed the whole break in instruction which was pretty easy. Used about half a bag of Apple pellets. Meat probe to 160 degrees as suggested. Total smoke and cook was about 8 hours. Overall I give the first effort a “C”. Not as smoky flavored as I expected and probably needed to cook a little longer.

One question. Emptied the hopper but how do you empty the auger? Or is it necessary?

Just got my Traeger and tried a 8 lb pork loin on it. Definitely will take a lot of trial and error to learn how to use it. Followed the whole break in instruction which was pretty easy. Used about half a bag of Apple pellets. Meat probe to 160 degrees as suggested. Total smoke and cook was about 8 hours. Overall I give the first effort a “C”. Not as smoky flavored as I expected and probably needed to cook a little longer.

One question. Emptied the hopper but how do you empty the auger? Or is it necessary?
Try a smoke tube for more smoke.

I don’t empty my hopper or purge the auger unless I am changing flavor of pellets, and then most times I don’t even purge the hopper.

It really doesn’t matter on purging the auger, just load the hopper with your pellets of choice[. The auger will purge dur the run up to temp. So that by the time it is up to temp all your smoke will be the new Pelletts…

It really doesn’t matter on purging the auger, just load the hopper with your pellets of choice[. The auger will purge dur the run up to temp. So that by the time it is up to temp all your smoke will be the new Pelletts…
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

Was just down at Costco, and they had a Treager road show ,
20 lbs hickory or cherry at 14.99
30 lb Costco blend 19.99
the hickory / cherry was 18.99 at ACE this afternoon….

Yeah that's the one I saw, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page... I'm deff get me one before next winter!!
THNX Mikey
Just cooked a brisket the other day and though it was fairly warm out, in the 60's, I still used the blanket to keep the heat even and reduce the quantity of pellets. I'm in Kansas and there's almost always some wind blowing across the unit dissipating the heat. The blanket keeps that to a minimum.

Traeger pellets but I didn't care for them. They use filler wood in them.
YUP, already been posted about.

YYCRed said:
In case anyone isn't aware (I believe most on here know this already), Traeger doesn't necessarily use 100% wood in their pellets. Here is their patent where it specifies it in the abstract: US Patent 7517371

The present invention relates to flavored wood pellets and a method of making flavored wood pellets. The wood pellets of this invention include wood particles, lubricant, and wood oil. Another aspect of the invention is a method that includes mixing wood particles with lubricant and wood oil, heating the mixture, and forming the mixture into pellets.

YUP, already been posted about.

YYCRed said:
In case anyone isn't aware (I believe most on here know this already), Traeger doesn't necessarily use 100% wood in their pellets. Here is their patent where it specifies it in the abstract: US Patent 7517371

The present invention relates to flavored wood pellets and a method of making flavored wood pellets. The wood pellets of this invention include wood particles, lubricant, and wood oil. Another aspect of the invention is a method that includes mixing wood particles with lubricant and wood oil, heating the mixture, and forming the mixture into pellets.
Does Pit Boss uses 100% wood?

Does Pit Boss uses 100% wood?
Pit Boss® hardwood pellets are made from 100% all-natural hardwood that is dried and ground into saw dust. The dust is then pressurized at extreme heat to create the compact pellets that are coated and held together with the wood’s natural lignin. Hardwood Pellets are also known as the easiest fuel to use. They produce less than 1% of ash, so an entire 40lb bag of pellets will only turn into ½ cup of ash, which makes clean up a breeze.

InkBird

Latest Discussions

Back