How do the pellets feed?

Magnumtripod

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
I just purchased the Silverton 620 from Costco and I'm trying to figure out exactly how this thing works.

I want to smoke a brisket tomorrow, but I cant figure out how to get the pellets to feed into the firepot automatically. I primed it and seasoned the grill already, but I didn't see any other settings to do a continuous feed. The recipe book doesn't have a "smoke time" vs a cook time.

Am I just supposed to fill up the firepot with pellets manually and just let it burn?

I feel like I'm overthinking this, but the instructions arent very clear imo

Fill the hopper, the firepot is fed by an auger from the hopper. The auger is controlled automatically by the controller on the grill. The controller feds more or less pellets depending on what you set the temperature to.

Fill the hopper, the firepot is fed by an auger from the hopper. The auger is controlled automatically by the controller on the grill. The controller feds more or less pellets depending on what you set the temperature t
So then if there's pellets in the hopper, whether I use the traeger for smoking or grilling, it will always feed pellets? The lady at Costco said I could bake a cake in this thing. I definitely don't want smoked cake, so if I did bake a cake, would I have to empty the hopper and purge the auger of all pellets?

The traeger brisket recipe calls for smoking the brisket for 6 hours then wrapping it in foil for another 3-4 hours and cooking it. Will the traeger continue to feed pellets and smoke my foil wrapped brisket?

I suggest you start with something more SIMPLE than a Brisket if you don't even know how a Traeger works yet....
PLEASE browse this site for tips and read as many instructions as you can.

The Traeger is a SELF FEEDING PELLET burning 'OVEN'... if pellets aren't burning then the 'OVEN' isn't on.

The reason you can do a CAKE or BREAD in a Traeger is because it is a convection OVEN and produces a low blue smoke instead of a THICK HEAVY smoke so your Bread and Cake won't necessarily be SMOKEY in flavor... also because you won't do cakes or bread at LOW temps.... low temps produce more smoke.

You ever eaten a Pizza from a wood oven???? was the Pizza too smokey for you??? NO

Will the traeger continue to feed pellets and smoke my foil wrapped brisket?

Your Brisket doesn't need nor will it even accept more SMOKE by the time it needs wrapping... it just needs the heat till it is 200° INTERNAL TEMP. You will NEED to use the meat probe for this. DO NOT take your brisket off till it is 200° inside

Last edited:
I suggest you start with something more SIMPLE than a Brisket if you don't even know how a Traeger works yet....
PLEASE browse this site for tips and by all means let the GRILL do the work it's supposed to do.

The Traeger is a SELF FEEDING PELLET burning 'OVEN'... if pellets aren't burning then the 'OVEN' isn't on.

The reason you can do a CAKE or BREAD in a Traeger is because it is a convection OVEN and produces a low blue smoke instead of a THICK HEAVY smoke so your Bread and Cake won't necessarily be SMOKEY in flavor... also because you won't do cakes or bread at LOW temps.... low temps produce more smoke.

You ever eaten a Pizza from a wood oven???? was the Pizza too smokey for you??? NO

Your Brisket doesn't need nor will it even accept more SMOKE by the time it needs wrapping... it just needs the heat till it is 200° INTERNAL TEMP. You will NEED to use the meat probe for this. DO NOT take your brisket off till it is 200° inside
I appreciate the advice. I've smoked many Briskets in my propane smoker and was in control of how much smoke I was able produce. Briskets aren't hard. I bought the Traeger for convenience of not having to keep feeding wood or pellets and not having to try and keep the flame lit. But that being said, the Traeger instructions that came with the grill dont explain very well the things you just told me. They are not comprehensive at all.

I absolutely want to let the grill do the work its supposed to do, but the instructions don't really tell me what exactly that is other than turn the temp up and start cooking.

Basically everything you just told me though is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for helping me out. Much appreciated

(y)

So then if there's pellets in the hopper, whether I use the traeger for smoking or grilling, it will always feed pellets? The lady at Costco said I could bake a cake in this thing. I definitely don't want smoked cake, so if I did bake a cake, would I have to empty the hopper and purge the auger of all pellets?

The traeger brisket recipe calls for smoking the brisket for 6 hours then wrapping it in foil for another 3-4 hours and cooking it. Will the traeger continue to feed pellets and smoke my foil wrapped brisket?
Don't knock the baked goods on the Traeger. These blueberry muffins and blue berry french toast casserole are 2 of the best things I've made on it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 60
My Costco Traeger is a "set it and forget it" type unit. Go on the traeger youtube channel and research the different recipes for the Brisket. Use the meat probe, you will not have to open it (unless you baste it) until it is at it's final temp. Just remember it will keep cooking internally for a while when it is finished and resting.

Love mine, expect the temp probe for the controller crapped out. Called Traeger and they put it in the mail.

Latest Discussions

Back