How cold can you grill?

jklingel

Reaction score
What is the coldest ambient temp at which one can effectively grill, ie, not double the usual time? Just bought a Pro 22, but it has dropped to "high 20's to mid-40's" now. Would like to heat this puppy up. Thanks. j

I have done it in the 30’s with my 22 but it takes a while to heat up and can’t reach the high temps very well. We don’t get very cold weather here in Georgia but it can get down in the teens. One reason I upgraded to Ironwood was the insulated body. I almost bought the insulated pad for the 22 .

I've done a few cooked in the lower 50s with the Ironwood 650 without any issues. If we get in the 20s-30s, it's nothing but soup and chili in our house :)

i thank you two; i felt the 40's might be a tad cool. did not know about the insulation pad; will check it out. still cold; can't use the thing yet. damn. cheers. j

I live in the Chicagoland area and smoke year round which includes winter's. The coldest I've done a cook was the magic number zero degrees. Numerous times in single digits, low teens and 20's are common.

I limit my cooks on those days to either ribs or a pork shoulder. I have 6 fire bricks surrounding the fire pot (2 on each side) to assist in helping retaining the heat in as well as I use Traeger's insulated jacket and a welder's blanket on top of that.

When it snows I only shovel a path from the back door to my grill and my grill to my shed where my pellets and equipment is stored.

I use my Traeger’s year around here on the east coast. Single digits without any issues.

rat and soda: many thanks. you guys (i assume) are hard core bbq'ers!

I have been known to use my grills on the very edge of my garage in cold/bad weather. The way I figure it is I don’t grill/smoke if I don’t wanna be out in it.

I live in the Chicagoland area and smoke year round which includes winter's. The coldest I've done a cook was the magic number zero degrees. Numerous times in single digits, low teens and 20's are common.

I limit my cooks on those days to either ribs or a pork shoulder. I have 6 fire bricks surrounding the fire pot (2 on each side) to assist in helping retaining the heat in as well as I use Traeger's insulated jacket and a welder's blanket on top of that.

When it snows I only shovel a path from the back door to my grill and my grill to my shed where my pellets and equipment is stored.

Does It take longer for your grill to heat up with the fire bricks?

Latest Discussions

Back