How bad is it, doc? (Thermocouple coating cracked)

So, if I coat this with JB Weld, will it still work or will that throw off the temp reading?
It doesn't affect my temp reading. But, I don't rely on this alone to set my cook temps. The main reason I take care of this is to keep the grill functioning. I have two Fireboard pit probes to monitor cook temps.

Last edited:
got'cha

And I assume the tip of the thermocouple needs to be left exposed? Or doesn't matter?
This video explains how thermocouples work.

It doesn't look like it needs the protective blob on the end. Anyone know more about this?

This video explains how thermocouples work.

It doesn't look like it needs the protective blob on the end. Anyone know more about this?
According to this (and to an electrical engineer I consulted) it doesn't need the black tip. It simply monitors the temp using two different metals. I think the tip was Traeger's way of protecting it. Mine came off after about 10 smokes.
It seems to work fine now. As long as it's still connected at the tip (you can see the solder), it should work fine.
Yesterday I did add a protective strip of stainless strap as someone else suggested...

Attachments

• Thermocouple Shield.jpg
    Thermocouple Shield.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 90
According to this (and to an electrical engineer I consulted) it doesn't need the black tip. It simply monitors the temp using two different metals. I think the tip was Traeger's way of protecting it. Mine came off after about 10 smokes.
It seems to work fine now. As long as it's still connected at the tip (you can see the solder), it should work fine.
Yesterday I did add a protective strip of stainless strap as someone else suggested...
Yes. I'm a EE as well. Just didn't have the time to respond until now. They come in many different configurations. The ones I'm most used to in petrochemical and power generation came with metal shrouds for protection against corrosion and erosion. So long as the solder remains intact it's good. I just wanted mine to look like new with the JB Weld;)

In the smoky environment of a grill, the thermocouple may well get a buildup of creosote. I suspect that is why Traeger placed the ceramic cap on the thermocouple. I accidently bumped mine when I was cleaning up following my last cook. I purchase a tube of Permatex Red High Temp Silicone Gasket Maker and used a toothpick to cover the tip of the thermocouple with a thin layer. Hopefully, the silicone will protect it from buildup and since the silicone is flexible, it should not be as easily damaged as the brittle ceramic.

The Red silicone is supposed to withstand intermittent temperatures up to 650 degrees F, so it should last. It is designed for use on automotive sensors, so it should be OK on the thermocouple.

I just coated it yesterday, so I am waiting for a full cure before testing the grill.

As an aside anybody tried/recommend a non-traeger thermocouple replacement? Traeger rating for their thermocouple isn't all that great.

The protective covering came off months ago. Didnt think nothing of it. Will this affect the inside temp? I think the protective covering was white and looked like a heat shrink?

Did it look like this?
1653501713304.png

If it did you're supposed to remove the shroud before heating the grill.o_O

After coating the tip of my thermocouple with Permatex Red RTV I let it cure for 24 hours. Then I ran a test burn on my grill. It seems to work as well as it did with the original coating.
936d91ff-b1a1-4b01-ad11-090c1e680839.116e2d567fb480e326334d03f558f320[1].jpeg

I do like the idea of adding some type of shield to protect the thermocouple. Traeger should have included a shield in the design. I saw a stainless steel sink strainer in the store and wondered how that might work to protect the thermocouple and yet still allow air circulation. If I do not do something, I am certain I will bump the thermocouple again.

Stainless pipe strap works well. The large hole fits cleanly over the TC shroud. #10X1/2 stainless screws god in the small holes. The IW has a double wall that can be drilled carefully and the screws won’t penetrate the outside wall. I’ll post a picture when I get back to the computer. Lots of variations here.

Attachments

• Shield_LI.jpg
    Shield_LI.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 41
Stainless pipe strap works well. The large hole fits cleanly over the TC shroud. #10X1/2 stainless screws god in the small holes. The IW has a double wall that can be drilled carefully and the screws won’t penetrate the outside wall. I’ll post a picture when I get back to the computer. Lots of variations here.
What’s the 2nd strap for?

What’s the 2nd strap for?
That's for one of my Fireboard pit probes. I place one there and another to the rear of the grill.

Last edited:
Back