How accurate is the Traeger meat probe?

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
What do you guys think on how accurate the Treager meat probe is? I calibrated it once, but it seems to be off about 3-4 degrees lower then my other meat probe. I'm not sure what one is wrong? :)

I haven't paid a lot of attention to be honest and use it as a guide. I probe with my thermapop to verify doneness. However in saying that you can adjust the offset for that probe if I remember correctly and I think it can be adjusted +/- 9 degrees ish. Also as far as the calibration it says to put it in ice water for a few minutes then calibrate. My suggestion would be to allow the ice water temp to settle in for a longer period prior to putting the probe in to calibrate.

I was wondering the same thing yesterday and ended up doing a test. I boiled some water in the kettle and poured it into a big coffee mug. I started up the grill and placed the probe in the mug of hot water and let it sit there until the reading was stable. I then took my Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 temperature probe and stuck is right beside the Traeger probe. At about 180F, the Traeger probe was off by about 5F. The D2 controller on the Pro 575 has an offset adjustment feature in the setup menu. I dialled in a 5F correction and they two probes matched perfectly. The grill also has a built in calibration process you can go through with ice water too.

Mines about +/- 5 degrees I rely on my thermapen much much more and use it as a guide as CampWhatNot said.

i've been wondering about mine, too. i get slightly different readings depending on which probe option i chose. i am ordering one of the probes on amazon that has, amazingly, about 1% bad press and several hundred to 1000 reviews; haven't seen any ratings like that on anything for a long-assed time. that said, i am not worried about a few degrees; we are eating, not mixing alloys into steel, but i don't want to be off 20 degrees, either.

Last edited:
When I first tested my 575 probe it was off 7 degrees from my Thermoworks QT. Once I set the offset it has stayed spot on. At least they got that right hahaha

I was wondering the same thing yesterday and ended up doing a test. I boiled some water in the kettle and poured it into a big coffee mug. I started up the grill and placed the probe in the mug of hot water and let it sit there until the reading was stable. I then took my Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 temperature probe and stuck is right beside the Traeger probe. At about 180F, the Traeger probe was off by about 5F. The D2 controller on the Pro 575 has an offset adjustment feature in the setup menu. I dialled in a 5F correction and they two probes matched perfectly. The grill also has a built in calibration process you can go through with ice water too.
Please explain the grill calibration process. I can’t find this anywhere. Thanks to

Please explain the grill calibration process. I can’t find this anywhere. Thanks to
There is a menu option on the D2 controller under Settings>Probe, etc. You basically put the probe in ice water for a while and then select Calibrate Probe. It’s in the manual.

Grill or probe calibration?

If it's the probe it's in the settings menu.

1. Make ice bath.
Fill cup fill to the brim with ice. Fill cup up with water. Water should be about 1/2" from rim. Ice shouldn't float.

2. Use probe to stir ice a few times.
This will make sure water is and ice are completely mixed.

3. Let ice bath and probe rest for 1 min
Place the meat probe into the ice bath and stir. Remove probe and let bath rest for one min

4. Plug in probe to smoker

5. Hit menu button and cycle to settings

6. Cycle till you see PROBE CALIBRATION

7. You should see option calibration

8. Place probe into ice bath and stir
Make sure probe doesnt touch the container. Stir the ice bath with probe

9. Click calibration while stirring the ice bath

10. If probe reads 32 degrees then your done if not then set the off set. Ie. If prob reads 39 degrees then your offset would be -7, if your probe reads 30 then your offset would be +2

11.. once your done get to smoking or grilling

i've been wondering about mine, too. i get slightly different readings depending on which probe option i chose. i am ordering one of the probes on amazon that has, amazingly, about 1% bad press and several hundred to 1000 reviews; haven't seen any ratings like that on anything for a long-assed time. that said, i am not worried about a few degrees; we are eating, not mixing alloys into steel, but i don't want to be off 20 degrees, either.

A few degrees is the difference between rare & well done steaks.

I trust my ThermoPro TP-20 more than the Traeger probe, it is off a little.

jeff: "A few degrees is the difference between rare & well done steaks." really? i am new to this, and that amazes me. i'll be careful about the temps then. we got a meat probe; i forget the brand.

I calculated mine to ice water and a thermo pen. Now it about 1 degree off. I had to set the offset.

Perfect! Try them in boiling water as well just to get an idea if any deviation as it warms to the top end.

Latest Discussions

Back