Hot Lid Handle

RickEBaker

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Bought the new Timberline 1300. This is undoubtedly the very best grill I've ever owned and works flawlessly. The only problem I'm having is the lid handle gets extremely hot to touch. Is this normal? Do they make covers for the handle or am I just stuck with using a clumsy oven mit or glove to open the lid when in use?
Just curious here and thanks

RB

Do you have a heat leak in your lid right under the handle??? Does the Timberline come with Traeger lid seal or maybe you need some??

I'll check for a leak. The 1300 has a real good lid seal and is all installed right. It also has the silica insulators installed between the handle and the lid. Not sure what else I can do. I'm jus stuck wearing gloves or a clumsy oven mit. Just thought that for my $2300 investment I'd get a "cooler" handle outta the deal. LOL

My pro575 is a mere fraction of the price of a TL1300 and I don’t have a hot handle problem. Must be something wrong that’s causing it

My pro575 is a mere fraction of the price of a TL1300 and I don’t have a hot handle problem. Must be something wrong that’s causing it
Thanx for the reply. Yeah I'm thinking it shouldn't be getting as hot as it does. I'll come up with something and or a fix and get it posted up when I do LOL 🤠👌

Yeah I'm thinking it shouldn't be getting as hot as it does. I'll come up with something and or a fix and get it posted up when I do

Is too much heat coming up around your drip pan? My 575 has most of the heat traveling up the back and front, then mixing around the food once it's up in the pit area... My handle does get hot but not that I cannot touch.

Make sure your drip pan is installed where it's supposed to be.
THEN, you might wanna make a diverter out of some Stainless Steel plate to keep heat from coming up right where your handle is.

Yet another "Works fine for me" reply.

My IW885 contained washers that went between the lid and the handle. I could imagine the handle getting hotter if the washers weren't there. BTW, what was your pit temp?

Agreed on above comments....should not be hot to the touch - there should be little pads between the handle and the grill surface (on the outside). I think they are at least partially to seal the hole for the screws, but they probably also protect the finish.

Keep us posted and good luck.

My IW885 contained washers that went between the lid and the handle. I could imagine the handle getting hotter if the washers weren't there.
If Costco assembled it, it's quite possible he has no washers

Rick, you should remove your handle and check it for washers... also you can buy all kinds of 'heat' resistant washers and Orings on Amazon for real cheap.

Thanks for your reply Kraz. I have the supplied silica washer between the lid and handle and the 1/4x20x1" stainless bolts and their washers. What I'm doing is making two solid French Walnut 3/4" thick washers (to add right on top of the factory silica ones) and two new insulated 1/4x20x2" stainless bolts.

RB

Attachments

• 20210914_081540.jpg
    20210914_081540.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 35
If needed I can and will make a whole new handle out of some Kentucky Hard Ash that was the center cut out of a 1962 Louisville Slugger bat. Solid Walnut handle stand-off's with a nicely stained and polished solid Louisville Slugger handle! LOL

I have a gen 1 1300 Timberline, roasting in the Phoenix sun, done some long hours cooks up to like 275F, and never had a handle that wasn't basically at ambient temps. Not sure what could be going on?

Are you doing long cooks at 500F or something like that?

A pair of missing washers seems like the most logical explanation.

Back