Hood Pivot Screws

DonJ

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Last night, as I was finishing a rib cook, one of the pivot screws that the hood pivots on came out. I guess over time the opening and closing of the hood ‘unscrewed’ it. I put a little blue loctite on the threads of both screws, so shouldn’t have that issue again. Easy fix for preventive maintenance.

Yup I put a warning about that in the Timberline thread a few months back when it happened to me. I lubed the pivot with a dab of hi-temp grease plus Loctite on the threads. The Timberline hoods are heavy, and it's an eye opener if it happens!

Thanks for posting this. Just went and checked mine as I'm in the middle of a cook and got a third of a turn on each side.. How long are the screws?

Thanks for posting this. Just went and checked mine as I'm in the middle of a cook and got a third of a turn on each side.. How long are the screws?
Threads are about 3/8 to 1/2" long. I would remove them, lube and Loctite them. Now I often watch the slots in the screws when opening the hood to be sure that they don't turn, so far all good.

Hey, sorry to hear about the pivot screw coming out, but it sounds like you took care of it with the blue Loctite! That is a good call on preventive maintenance. It's always a good idea to stay on top of those little fixes to keep things running smoothly.
By the way, if you're looking for more helpful tools and supplies, you might want to check out Scrooz Australia. They have a wide range of products that could come in handy for future projects. Just thought I'd mention it in case you find it useful.
Wishing you many more successful cooks and smooth-sailing maintenance.

Last edited:
Back