HELP!!!

MarshallHale

Reaction score
Grill
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I started the process of smoking my first brisket. (i'd like to give a run down and see if anyone can give me some idea of what in the world is going on)

Trimmed my brisket (watched several videos and was happy with the outcome, ended up with a 6.5lb. brisket, trimmed)
Wrapped and fridged until this morning.
730am: unwrapped and seasoned, let sit out for about 30 minutes
815am: traeger set to 275 and loaded brisket (fat up) i was given these directions from the Meat Church Traeger video

THIS IS WHERE DISASTER STARTED
10am: probe my brisket and it is already reading 170. wtf??? my assumption was that this temperature should have been at least 6 hours away.

It is now 11am (posting live) and the brisket is reading 175...to try and save this I have lowered temp to 205 and wrapped in butcher paper

any quick tips or ways to save this, please let me know!!!

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I started the process of smoking my first brisket. (i'd like to give a run down and see if anyone can give me some idea of what in the world is going on)

Trimmed my brisket (watched several videos and was happy with the outcome, ended up with a 6.5lb. brisket, trimmed)
815am: traeger set to 275 and loaded brisket (fat up) i was given these directions from the Meat Church Traeger video

10am: probe my brisket and it is already reading 170. wtf??? my assumption was that this temperature should have been at least 6 hours away.

It is now 11am (posting live) and the brisket is reading 175...to try and save this I have lowered temp to 205 and wrapped in butcher paper

Did you calibrate probe?? Not sure about this but it could be your temp probe needs re-cal

I don't have any experience with brisket yet but 275* sounds high to me.

I do my briskets at 220 I haven't tried one on my traeger yet only in a Bradley but have plans of doing one very soon let us know how yours turned out and how long it took

I just did a brisket @ 250 on my Ironwood 885, started at 7:00am ish, it reached 165 around 11:30/noon. Wrapped in butcher paper and finished in the oven (no need to spend money on pellets), turned out perfect around 4:40 probe tender, rest for 40min or so, turned out perfect.

I would guess your probe is off caliber, or you are testing in a very thin spot on the brisket.

side note, I've done both fat UP and Down, and I prefer fat DOWN as it gives a nicer looking bark on the meat. I noticed zero difference in flavor, was only appearance.

Best of luck, I'm hoping its just your probe is off caliber.

Hello everyone,

If by chance your probe was located in fat, it will give an innaccurate reading of the brisket. Also, did the Traeger hold close to 275? If not you may need to stir the pellets to keep them from bridging in the pellet chute. If they bridge it can cause the Traeger to sky on it's temperature. I own the 575 and have never had it bridge the pellets like my first Traeger did, a Bronson. They have improved the pellet chute and the auger an the newer models don't seem to have the same issue.

Smoked a 20lb pretrimmed at 225 super-smoke. Took about 12 hours. Bottom rack, but not bottom position. Brisket was burnt on bottom. I also use a second probe thermadot.

Big Tex BBQ says your probe was not calibrated. You should be super smoking your brisket at 225 for the first 3 hours, then wrap your brisket in foil or paper. Raise temp to 300 and let her fly. You can calculate cook time at 20-30 minutes per pound. Should be tender and tasty by then.

I would use a good therma pen to confirm probe temp!

Well I’m a little late as I’m sure the meats burnt or in the toilet by now lol. Not much I could add to probe calibration or stuck in fat..

My “how to” I say an hour a pound at 225-250. Given you’re a little hotter and only 6.5lbs trimmed I don’t believe you’re out of the expectation given the shared info.. Personally I don’t suggest turning down the heat especially around that “stall” temp, most wrap and bump the temp up then to push through what could be hours... just food for thought next time.

Traeger recommends for a no wrap brisket to cook at 225 for a 6 pound. Insert your probe into the thickest part of the meat until you get between 190-195. This should take 4 - 6 hours then wrap in bath towels in an insulated container for at least 30 mins.
6 pound is a bit on the small side. When I do a brisket I am around the 12-14 pound. I start smoking at 225 degrees F and I cook until the internal temp has reached 165F. I then wrap in butchers paper until the internal reaches 202F I then wrap in towels and let rest for an hour.
Because of the size of your brisket and assuming your probe is right I think you hit a thin part to check. Make several checks and always in the thickest part. I use a dual probe (Thermpro) one probe for inside the Traeger and the other In the meat. I then watch from inside the house the temperature of the meat as well as the grill temp, hasn't failed me yet. Hope I have given you a bit of hope

Latest Discussions

Back