Help with pro 780

What kind of pellets? What temp? Is the grill heating up?

That’s pretty hot, you won’t get much visible smoke from the pellets at that temp. You’re essentially grilling at that point, not smoking with the Traeger.

Ok traeger told me that but I’m so used to using wood and charcoal my brain is having a hard time believing it. Thank you for getting me off the ledge!

Ok traeger told me that but I’m so used to using wood and charcoal my brain is having a hard time believing it. Thank you for getting me off the ledge!
And there is smoke, just not plumes of white smoke like you think of when you think BBQ or smoking meats. Google “smoke ring” and you’ll find many articles talking about bbq smoke and the many myths that are out there.

Ya, much less smoke over 250F, but you are still cooking with a wood fire! Some add smoke tubes or smoke generators to get more smoke at higher temps, user preference.

I've done spatchcock chicken on my 780 before, here's what I do. Don't even heat up the smoker. Put what I'm going to smoke on, be it chicken, wings, ribs, bacon, cold. Close lid. Set to 180 and let er rip. Depending on what I'm smoking, I bring the temp up after and hour or so, or longer and go forward.

Great advice, thanks!! I was following a recipe thus the 375 degrees but I like your way much better!

Edit for the bacon, sorry. Must of had a senior moment. I still put the bacon on cold but go to 375 at startup till done, flipping the strips a time or two. Really love cooking bacon because the grease just flows off. Bucket gets full after a couple of times.

Edit for the bacon, sorry. Must of had a senior moment. I still put the bacon on cold but go to 375 at startup till done, flipping the strips a time or two. Really love cooking bacon because the grease just flows off. Bucket gets full after a couple of times.

Interesting, you don't pre-heat the Grill at all, just put your meat on set the grill to a "smoke temp 180" for a period of time then crank it to @375 and let it go?

Never heard of this technique before,

Interesting, you don't pre-heat the Grill at all, just put your meat on set the grill to a "smoke temp 180" for a period of time then crank it to @375 and let it go?

Never heard of this technique before,

Yes pretty much. With the bacon it goes on cold, then start it with 375 and let that thick sliced bacon enjoy the massive smoke fest at startup, much easier to work with and, no smokey eyes.

As for other meats, same deal, put in with smoker ready to go, set it at 180 and again, push ignite and lock the front door. Even a late night or 4AM brisket cook. I do monitor the temp on my iPhone a little even after getting the alert the pre-heat is complete.

So tonight I tried a smoke tube, great idea, wrong placement. I had it on the far right side thinking smoke would drift to the left out of the stack. Nope it just jacked with the temperature. It’s definitely a learning experience going from a regular pit to a traeger!

Latest Discussions

Back