Help Which one to get

jvap42

Reaction score
Grill
none
I have narrowed it down to two; the Pro 780 and the Ironwood 650. It the 650 worth it? Or will I miss the extra room that the 780 has? Asking for help

you aren't talking about that much extra space in the end. how many people are you cooking for typically? how often do you cook for large groups?

Like to entertain, but normally it's just the family. And the added options on the Ironwood are they worth the extra money, super smoke, no stack just the vents in the rear, more convection. I have an electric smoker now Masterbuilt it's great I just want to try the pellet grill. Haven't heard anything bad about them

Personally I luv my 780.

20210306_111015.jpg

besides, I like chimneys.

I originally bought a Pro series and returned it to get an Ironwood. I'm happy with my decision.

I also went with an Ironwood but a 885. I had a SmokeFire so I was used to the no stack style. I just wish that Traeger would offer a insulation blanket.

My 780 was a gift and I originally thought it was way too big; however, I have often used the space to have multiple meats and/or meat and side dishes at the same time and really like the space now. You can never have too much but you can easily have too little.

If you can swing the $$ I'd recommend the IW 850. Or if super smoke is your thing go with the 780 and a cheap smoke tube.

Just my two cents.

Like to entertain, but normally it's just the family. And the added options on the Ironwood are they worth the extra money, super smoke, no stack just the vents in the rear, more convection. I have an electric smoker now Masterbuilt it's great I just want to try the pellet grill. Haven't heard anything bad about them
i have a masterbuilt electric smoker as well. by adding either traeger you're expanding your space by a lot. the MB i have has four decent sized shelves, so add the cooking space of either traeger and you're good to go and cook out for a very large group.

but understand, the pellet grills aren't smokers like your MB is. they're essentially wood fired convection ovens. they can do a smokey flavor, but they won't do what your MB does in that regard. maybe with one of the smoke tubes, i haven't tried so i can't say 100%. nothing against either one, they're simply different beasts. i get austin tasting food out of both.

as far as the IW vs Pro? if i could have stretched to the IW, i would have. i am very happy with the Pro and don't regret the decision. ignorance is bliss. but for as much space than you'd be adding considering your current smoker, just try to get the best one you can within your budget.

in the end, you'd probably be happy with either. cheers and good luck in your decision, i don't think you can go wrong here. personally i'd sacrifice a tiny bit of space for the model upgrade, not that what i'd do matters.

Last edited:
I also went with an Ironwood but a 885. I had a SmokeFire so I was used to the no stack style. I just wish that Traeger would offer a insulation blanket.
I thought they did have a blanket??

Latest Discussions

Back