Help! HELP PLEASE: Cooking a 17.5lb Brisket

akamauu

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Hi All, I’m a big Traeger fan, but still feel fairly novice at cooking great meat. I cooked brisket once before on my older Pro34 and it took >15 hrs. Last week I upgraded to an Ironwood 885. I’m cooking an 18 lb brisket right now and I miscalculated how long it would take. I started it way too early. It’s 11am here and our dinner with guests isn’t until 6pm.

- cooked at 250 from midnight to 7am and I found it at 180 internal temp
- wrapped it and dropped the temp to 215
- dropped the temp again to 200 at 9am
- now (11am) the internal temp says 195-198 (2 different probes)
I am planning to make burnt ends as well.

I’m not sure what to do. I guess I could let it continue at 200 until 1pm, then maybe increase the heat until meat is read (maybe 2pm) and then let it rest in a cooler for 3-4 hrs.

But then I’m not sure when to cut off the tip and make the burnt ends. Do I do that at 1pm before increasing the temp, but the burnt ends might be done way to early (like 3pm)? or do I wait until 4 (when the meat is resting) and then take out, cut off the tip to make the burnt ends, leaving the flat to continue resting)?

Any suggestions? Thanks a ton!!!

Me personally, I wouldn't drop the grill temp anymore. I would say let it cook until its done. finished early is better than late by far. When its done, take it off the grill and let it sit on a cutting board and rest for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, transfer to a cooler with towels and blankets. It'll stay warm for hours in there. Before the guests are due to arrive, pull out and separate. Re-wrap and place the flat back in the cooler. Prep burnt ends and place back on the grill. Slice brisket when ready and eat until you cant eat anymore.

Hi All, I’m a big Traeger fan, but still feel fairly novice at cooking great meat. I cooked brisket once before on my older Pro34 and it took >15 hrs. Last week I upgraded to an Ironwood 885. I’m cooking an 18 lb brisket right now and I miscalculated how long it would take. I started it way too early. It’s 11am here and our dinner with guests isn’t until 6pm.

- cooked at 250 from midnight to 7am and I found it at 180 internal temp
- wrapped it and dropped the temp to 215
- dropped the temp again to 200 at 9am
- now (11am) the internal temp says 195-198 (2 different probes)
I am planning to make burnt ends as well.

I’m not sure what to do. I guess I could let it continue at 200 until 1pm, then maybe increase the heat until meat is read (maybe 2pm) and then let it rest in a cooler for 3-4 hrs.

But then I’m not sure when to cut off the tip and make the burnt ends. Do I do that at 1pm before increasing the temp, but the burnt ends might be done way to early (like 3pm)? or do I wait until 4 (when the meat is resting) and then take out, cut off the tip to make the burnt ends, leaving the flat to continue resting)?

Any suggestions? Thanks a ton!!!

Agreed with JP. I would finish it out, wrap in a towel and put in a cooler. As time gets closer you can separate and do your burnt ends. They'll typically take an hour or so and a rest period. The brisket will stay hot for hours inside a cooler wrapped with a towel.

Thank you all for the help. I followed JP’s suggestions and it turned out perfectly!

Attachments

• 70289050-5B7D-4A03-BA17-C22FA43D765A.jpeg
    70289050-5B7D-4A03-BA17-C22FA43D765A.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 0E73F855-2ABE-423E-A685-322CCDCCB02C.jpeg
    0E73F855-2ABE-423E-A685-322CCDCCB02C.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 145
That brisket and burnt ends look great. How you like that Traeger sauce? I haven't tried those two yet but I'm a big fan of the Sugar Lips Siracha and Texas BBQ.

That brisket and burnt ends look great. How you like that Traeger sauce? I haven't tried those two yet but I'm a big fan of the Sugar Lips Siracha and Texas BBQ.

This is only my 2nd brisket. The first time I used Traeger Prime Rib rub + injection and Signature BBQ sauce for the burnt ends ... which was great. Thought I'd try something differently and this was great as well. It was nice to have different options because some loved the heat from the Sweet & Heat, while others just liked the sweat sugar lips :)
I'll have to try your suggestions next time.

Latest Discussions

Back