Help! Android

Killerkaw

Reaction score
Grill
575 d2
Ok, hey all! New to the board but have read previous posts. At end of my rope.
Equip:
New 575 wifire
Samsung galaxy 8

I purchased this Grill after much deliberation and bought it specifically to have the Wifire experience. Prior to purchase I had watched many videos on YouTube and didn't find much issue online with the unit so I made the purchase.
During the setup everything seemed to go quite well. I signed in on app and my 575 is approximately 4 1/2 feet from my router.
The grill itself quickly and easily found my router with good signal strength and everything on the app seem to go according to plan until it came to the point asking for a nickname. I put a nickname and click connect and the 575 instantly drops connectivity and the app goes back to the door screen with no Grill accepted.
What I've done:
Uninstalled and reinstalled app coinciding with a factory reset on the 575. No success.
I've changed networks which it doesn't seem to like but I've tried each of my 2.4 Networks to no avail.
For some reason the 575 just doesn't seem to stay connected to the network. So it recognizes it immediately during the setup .The grill functions as intended though I do have some temperature fluctuations which Traeger assures me will go away with the update which I can't get.
As you might have been inferred, I reached out to Traeger and while they seem concerned eventually came to the conclusion (after going up the ladder) that there's an app issue that they're trying to work out. And i should wait several weeks for a fix.

I'm very very disappointed in the connectivity of this unit and if it can't be solved by the end of the week I will return it though I'd rather not. Any advice from the collective would be greatly appreciated

I'm not an Android guy but here's what I know about the setup.

1- You must use 2.4Ghz home network.

2- You need to set your phone's WiFi to auto-connect only to your 2.4Ghz Network, you must "forget" your 5Ghz network so the phone doesn't try to connect to it. This is only for the duration of the setup.

3- The Grill initially acts as an Access Point, if you had previous failed setups, do "Forget" this grill network before starting again, and do not let the phone "auto-connect" to this network either.

4- First setup, you connect to the grill's access point network when "adding grill".

5- Next the phone scans and finds nearby networks, you select your home 2.4Ghz network. Your phone then passes your home network information to the grill and I believe you may name grill here as well.

6- Once the grill has the data, it basically reboots itself and connects to your home network. Your phone, which was connected directly to the grill, looses that connection when the grill re-boots. The phone will then try to re-connect to whatever WiFi network is configured as its preferred network, it's critical that it connect to your 2.4Ghz home network, not to the Grills AP network, or any other.

7- Looking in the Grill's WiFi settings, you should see your 2.4Ghz home network connection and signal strength.

8- Once the grill is connected to your home's 2.4Ghz network, and your phone is also connected to this same network, you should be able to see it with the app and be able to control it.

9- If all is working correctly, the grill now auto connects to your home 2.4Ghz network whenever it is powered up, regardless of the state of your phone. You may then set you phone to use 2.4 and 5.8 home network bands as desired.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply I will follow your process to the T

Can I work this process while I'm using the grill?

Plus you may want it to sit... ON but in sleep mode for a day or so, you need at LEAST to show your grill is upgraded to version 02.01.03 firmware... 2 weeks for me and my CONFIG is still not updated.... I'd make sure you are at that FIRMWARE before using your grill...

Thank you for the reply and advice. But do you realize how insane that advice sounds to someone who just spent a grand on a grill he'd like to use. Turn it on don't use it for some unknown prescribed amount of time which could be a few days might be several weeks. People are okay with this? And if this were the case shouldn't traeger be talking about this in their instruction manual or anywhere on the normal setup guide? I've now invested hours of time and aggravation with phone calls and resetting Wi-Fi and forgetting networks over and over and over again in different orders , trying to come up with some Holy Grail process to no avail. I've listened dutifully to those with advice and that have taken the time to create instructions on the process. No success. Traeger themselves told me that there were issues and I should just be patient for several weeks and maybe it'll get worked out.
No thank you, I'll be returning the Traeger today.

Shame, all mine needed was a £20 wifi repeater in the shed. And because I'd not read the instructions the AP in the Grill forgetting on the phone. Although the grill is only around 6M from my dual band access point, the aerials on the PCB are so poor they struggle to connect with a strong enough signal. Putting a cheapo wifi repeater in the shed which is about 2M from the grill solved everything, haven't had it say "bye bye" at all since then.

Shame, all mine needed was a £20 wifi repeater in the shed. And because I'd not read the instructions the AP in the Grill forgetting on the phone. Although the grill is only around 6M from my dual band access point, the aerials on the PCB are so poor they struggle to connect with a strong enough signal. Putting a cheapo wifi repeater in the shed which is about 2M from the grill solved everything, haven't had it say "bye bye" at all since then.
I was ready to buy a Wi-Fi extender but the reality is the grill is literally four and a half feet from my wireless router

And again the issue is not with reception as it identifies my wireless router beautifully during the setup process it's when you get to the nickname your grill section that it resets and goes back to the home screen and loses communication with the router

What is the icon in the upper right??? one means it's connected to WiFi, the other means connected to you phone... which is it... are you determining it is losing connection to the router thru your phone??? Cause that's not how to tell.

ALSO.. NAME IT LATER... get it connected and worry about it's name later

What is the icon in the upper right??? one means it's connected to WiFi, the other means connected to you phone... which is it... are you determining it is losing connection to the router thru your phone??? Cause that's not how to tell.
Watching the interface on the 575 while also observing my phone, the phone doesn't recognize that the grill is no longer linked with Wi-Fi. But watching the screen on the grill itself it recognizes immediately the name of my home router and links up with great signal strength. But then it reverts back to its Factory state with its own Grill name and why fire password and no longer can the name of my home router be found. In fact when it recognizes my home router the forget icon pops up in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen but shortly thereafter when it reverts back the forget network is gone

So you tried my steps and it still fails?

If so, I agree return it as it should be pretty straightforward.

If you don't get another Traeger check out Camp Chef, they have a very interesting model with color display, side mounted propane sear station, all for $999

Latest Discussions

Back