Hello from Switzerland

Fintan

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300. Yet to be delivered.
Hell All I have been looking at a pellet smoker for a while now. It has boiled down to Timberline, Yoder and red tec is sort of like choosing between top of the line sports cars. I had a quick look at the louisiana. I must admit I did like the memphis a lot. But, for some reason I always came back to the Timberline. I think it has the most to offer for the price and quality.As I said top of the line sports cars, even super sport cars. But I don' need a 2'000 HP Buggati or Mc Claren. A good sexy Porsch will do me just fine :) There are a couple of issues I am wary about: Searing, only one temp probe, no storage space between the legs out of the box, and that little ledge on the front. Why did you get rid of the wide fold up wider ledge? Still I am convinced and will be getting a 1300 soon. I really look forward to getting to know this great machine and trading ideas with you all here. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Fintan from a previous 911 owner :)

I went through the same process myself before picking up the Ironwood. I was between the RecTec/Grilla/Traeger. It's a tough decision. I decided on the Traeger because of the new technology in the D2 controller, the app, and wifi. I have friends with the Timberline and absolutely love them. I also enjoy being part of the Traeger owner's community. So many friendly people that are always ready to help and provide great advice.

Searing seems to be a feature that many people talk about. I wonder if we'll ever see a sear box on the side of a Traeger.

Thank you you for the hearty welcome.

Hmmm..... I have been thinking about that searing issue. Short term I think I am going to go improv. Meaning I am going (when I finally get my baby) to make a fold out shelf to add width to the left hand side shelf to go to a total width of min. 28 in. and depth of 28 in. That will provide space for a induction table top cooker like this one: Klarstein VariCook XL Double Induction Hob and a induction griddle to fit (Traeger's Iron griddle??) this guy effortlessly heats up to 465 F (The miracle of induction) . I know it is not purist but all I want to do is sear.
Long term I am thinking of getting in touch with beefer: https://us.beefer.com/ these guys are hot and good.
Maybe they can come with a portable electric model which just hooks on the the side of the Traeger smoker grills (using that left side).
Maybe even going into a sort of joint venture with Traeger as they would combine the best of both worlds. If you have never heard of them check out these videos to see what I mean: https://us.beefer.com/videos-beefer/.
I have used them before (NOOO I am not selling or promoting them), you can do just about anything with them. Except smoking, low and slow. etc. :))
So, they would only have to make a Beefer sidekick about half the height of the Beefer one. It is pricey now, but that is something these companies can work out I am sure.
It would be the absolute perfect combination of cooking solutions. Bthw. The beefer one is W 5in x D 19in x Hin 6 and weighs in at: 26.5 Lbs now. At half the height? Wow! And the Beefer goes up to full 1500 degrees F!!!
I just am not a big friend of waiting for the other foods to cook, setting those aside, shutting down the smoker, removing those hot grills, etc, putting more huge elements or fooling around in a very hot heating chamber opening holes, or making some new ones, etc, restarting the smoker to highest temp just to sear a couple of pieces of meat which only takes a few seconds. That just does not make any workflow sense. Camp Chef has a good elegant solution, which costs extra. so does Memphis which does not. The rest of them including Traeger do not.
Having said that I will of course try out the Traeger Iron griddle. i am also not a friend of the Grill Grate. Way too much mess and complicated.

Conclusion: If we are supposed to spend this kind of money on a top of the line quality product. It should be just that. Did I mention that the Beefer goes up to full 1500 degrees F!!!
I for one am happy to assist in any way I can. Sorry for the rambling on my first "date", but I feel it is an important subject and not just for reasons of Market share, but mainly for reasons of customer satisfaction. which of course also influences market share :))
Anyway have a great Sunday and cheers
Fred

Last edited:
After spending time evaluating new smoker/pellet grill purchase options, I decided on the 2019 Timberline 1300, and I'm thrilled with my choice. Initially I wanted the Ironwood 885, but want full insulation, not just side walls. So, considered the Timberline 850, but for a little more money, with the T1300 there's a whole lot more cooking surface. The 2019 T1300 is one excellent unit. Yesterday smoked chicken, ribs, corn and asparagus, with room to spare. Everything came out "perfect". I'm sure you'll get many opinions, my 2 cents... Traeger Timberline...you cannot go wrong.

HI and thanks. I wholeheartedly agree.

I have not received mine yet, but had a chance to compare 1300 to the Memphis Elite. Hmmm... I have to revise my comment from this morning. The sear solution is not elegant. Better than some propositions for the Timberline, but you still have to clear the smoker of all other food. Great quality build and probably the only smoker that is comparable to the 1300. But almost 3x the price of the 1300 and less total cooking space? Not here. my 2 cts for your 2cts :) cheers

This means I can smoke 30 cm (11 in) for both a few ;) sausages and nice trout for smoking. Great! Thanks!

Back