Hello from Arizona.

Ell

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Just found the forum and need some help. The Traeger is all new to me. My first cook is a 17 pound brisket. It has been on for 6 hours at 225 and the internal temp just reached 160. By using the Traeger menu I should be wrapping it in a foil pouch then adding a cup of beef broth to it and let it cook at 225 till it reaches 204 internal. Does that sound about right. We have lots of family to feed tomorrow and want to get this right.

Brisket may not be the best choice for a first cook on a new pit, especially if this is your first time cooking a packer brisket.
That said, even though I don’t smoke brisket using that method, sounds like you are on the right track.
One word of caution, the Traeger meat probe is notoriously inaccurate ( no matter how many times you calibrate it or get it replaced). Use an accurate instant (such as Thermapen MK4) read to verify your internal temps, and you should be fine.
While you are waiting on your Brisket, watch this video..

Welcome, hope it turns out.

Brisket may not be the best choice for a first cook on a new pit, especially if this is your first time cooking a packer brisket.
That said, even though I don’t smoke brisket using that method, sounds like you are on the right track.
One word of caution, the Traeger meat probe is notoriously inaccurate ( no matter how many times you calibrate it or get it replaced). Use an accurate instant (such as Thermapen MK4) read to verify your internal temps, and you should be fine.
While you are waiting on your Brisket, watch this video..
Thanks JamesB. I will watch the video and hopefully pick up some pointers. Thanks for the advice on the meat thermometer. I will purchase a good one.

Don’t be a stranger, lots of very knowledgeable people here, and all enjoy helping….

Welcome to the forum! After the first couple of attempts of smoking brisket I stopped adding broth to mine. I don't think it's needed, especially if you are wrapping in foil. It should stay moist with all the fat.

I always suggest pulled pork for the first cook. It's easy and almost always comes out tasting good!

Reactions: Ell
Welcome, hope it turns out.
Thanks 🙏
Don’t be a stranger, lots of very knowledgeable people here, and all enjoy helping….
I plan to use this forum while learning to cook on the Traeger. I put the brisket on at 12:30pm at 225 super smoke. It reached 161 around 7:00pm. That is when I asked for advise. I decided to leave it unwrapped on the smoker and turned the temp down to 190. I left it there till 12:45 this morning. I placed it in a foil pan, wrapped it tightly and cooked at 220 till 6:00 this morning. It is literally falling apart. We will be diving into it about 10:00. It is currently just resting waiting for my guests to show up. I will let you know how it turned out when we cut it. Thanks again. Butcher block paper is ordered.

Welcome to the forum! After the first couple of attempts of smoking brisket I stopped adding broth to mine. I don't think it's needed, especially if you are wrapping in foil. It should stay moist with all the fat.

I always suggest pulled pork for the first cook. It's easy and almost always comes out tasting good!
Great advise. I used the broth and when I pulled it off and opened it up I realized I didn’t need it. Like you said, it had plenty of it’s on juices. We put that in a pot and heated it up so that it could be poured over the individual servings. We fed 15 people and it turned out absolutely delicious.

Attachments

• E59F5220-21DA-4B57-AA6C-B0660F126558.jpeg
    E59F5220-21DA-4B57-AA6C-B0660F126558.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 13
Looks great and glad everyone enjoyed it

Reactions: Ell
Back