Heavy Smoke Out of Pellet Hopper

kenb1060

Reaction score
Grill
Scout
I have a brand new Scout and I have heavy smoke coming up out of the pellet hopper at 250 degree setting. So much that a sticky creosote residue is on the underside of the lid. This can't be good. Any ideas what might be wrong? I didn't notice this at 350 degrees setting.

Additional Feedback from a Traeger Dealer that had posted the following via a similar inquiry on a Traeger-related FB Group:

This is usually caused by excessive pellet dust, which comes from pellets that have been exposed to moisture. You may be able to avoid it by stepping down from high temperature instead of shutting off directly. Or maybe not. Best thing is to avoid pellets with dust.​
Recommend that you vacuum any dust from the auger channel. You will have to reprime the auger before starting up again.​

Additional Feedback from a Traeger Dealer that had posted the following via a similar inquiry on a Traeger-related FB Group:

This is usually caused by excessive pellet dust, which comes from pellets that have been exposed to moisture. You may be able to avoid it by stepping down from high temperature instead of shutting off directly. Or maybe not. Best thing is to avoid pellets with dust.​
Recommend that you vacuum any dust from the auger channel. You will have to reprime the auger before starting up again.​
Thanks, I will take a closer look. These are the same Pellets I use in my other pellet grills and they don;t do this.

Back