Has anybody found a compatible insulation blanket for the Silverton 620?

I've only seen them for the models with a smoke stack. The blankets would block the downdraft exhaust of the non-smoke stack models.

I haven't seen any made to fit. Looked at using welders blankets and fire proof felt but just wound up using an old thick cotton floor mat my wife had and it has worked well covering the top and front.
Too bad the Silverton lid sides are not double thickness like the Ironwood.

Hoping Traeger will make a blanket for the Silverton. Sure would help in the winter. I emailed Traeger directly, and they did respond. Just no commitment to make one. I encourage everyone to contact Traeger.

Have not seen an OEM cover for the Silverton, but got this welding felt from Amazon for $40. It is good thickness, easy to cut and seems to work well. I poked holes and put the handle screws through it and need to get some more magnets to hold the rest. Temperature differences with and without are significant. (the front photo is before I placed it under the handle)

Attachments

• Felt.JPG
    Felt.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,213
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,139
  • IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Temp on felt.JPG
    Temp on felt.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Temp on grill.JPG
    Temp on grill.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,205
Have not seen an OEM cover for the Silverton, but got this welding felt from Amazon for $40. It is good thickness, easy to cut and seems to work well. I poked holes and put the handle screws through it and need to get some more magnets to hold the rest. Temperature differences with and without are significant. (the front photo is before I placed it under the handle)
Thanks for sharing. Do you find the felt is blocking the ability for the smoke to exit the grill?

This looks similar to the ones we use at the shop i work at. If it gets wet it may fall apart. Just keep an eye on it if it rains. If you have a small piece you could "test" it with water to confirm or disprove it.

Thanks for sharing. Do you find the felt is blocking the ability for the smoke to exit the grill?
I cut it into two pieces and made each one just short of any exhaust edges and ports. Ex: on the top back of the lid where a lot of smoke exits after adding LavaLock I did not let it hang over the edge. On the second part for the back, I also cut it just shy of the vents. Not sure how your grill is, but mine smokes from everywhere including out the bottom cabinet. I can take some more pics if you need, let me know.

This looks similar to the ones we use at the shop i work at. If it gets wet it may fall apart. Just keep an eye on it if it rains. If you have a small piece you could "test" it with water to confirm or disprove it.
Whoa, didn't know that! Seattle has been known to get some rain... The grill is under a gazebo and grill cover, but I do have a small piece to test and will report back

I tested a small piece and let it soak overnight. It stood up well with no issues, but I could see a larger piece soaked from rain possibly stretch or tear if pulling/moving it. Thanks again for the heads up so I can keep an eye on it!
Start-Dry.JPG
1 hour.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_E2652.JPG
    IMG_E2652.JPG
    805.2 KB · Views: 32
I cut it into two pieces and made each one just short of any exhaust edges and ports. Ex: on the top back of the lid where a lot of smoke exits after adding LavaLock I did not let it hang over the edge. On the second part for the back, I also cut it just shy of the vents. Not sure how your grill is, but mine smokes from everywhere including out the bottom cabinet. I can take some more pics if you need, let me know.
I am late finding your post but also would love to see some pics of how you cut the material for the back of the grill. I have had to put my Traeger away for the winter, darn it, and would like to see if this would work here in the mountain in winter. Thank you!

Also, could you let me know which magnets you used, maybe send a link? Thank you again!

Hoping Traeger will make a blanket for the Silverton. Sure would help in the winter. I emailed Traeger directly, and they did respond. Just no commitment to make one. I encourage everyone to contact Traeger.
You'd think...that with enough chatter about this Traeger would get on the stick and come up with one. Or one of the 'aftermarket manufacturers' would come up with one.
It's a strike against Traeger to NOT have one, or a suggested alternative.

Check local hardware stores and welders supply stores for a fiberglass welder's blanket. Then purchase some large ceramic magnets to hold it in place. You will have to figure out how to place the blanket so it does not block the exhaust vents in the back and also allow access to the lid. Because of the difficulty of achieving both objectives, Traeger does not offer custom made insulated blankets for these models.

The rear exhaust models do have double walls to minimize heat loss, so you might be surprised at how well your grill holds heat in cold weather. You might not want to schedule overnight cooks in Feburary and March when nighttime temperatures can dip below 0 F in Silverthorne, but daytime cooks should not be a significant issue. Place your grill where it receives as much direct sunlight as possible.

Last edited:
Back