Has anybody found a compatible insulation blanket for the Silverton 620?

Check local hardware stores and welders supply stores for a fiberglass welder's blanket. Then purchase some large ceramic magnets to hold it in place. You will have to figure out how to place the blanket so it does not block the exhaust vents in the back and also allow access to the lid. Because of the difficulty of achieving both objectives, Traeger does not offer custom made insulated blankets for these models.

The rear exhaust models do have double walls to minimize heat loss, so you might be surprised at how well your grill holds heat in cold weather. You might not want to schedule overnight cooks in Feburary and March when nighttime temperatures can dip below 0 in Silverthorne, but daytime cooks should not be a significant issue. Place your grill where it receives as much direct sunlight as possible.
Thanks for your suggestion. It mirrors some of the above - I may have to try it. I just find it hard to imagine that Traeger isn't aggressive enough on making the money to make them accessible to us. But there's probably not ENOUGH money in the effort.
My problem isn't just 20f, it's months of Zero-minus temps.

Thanks for your suggestion. It mirrors some of the above - I may have to try it. I just find it hard to imagine that Traeger isn't aggressive enough on making the money to make them accessible to us. But there's probably not ENOUGH money in the effort.
My problem isn't just 20f, it's months of Zero-minus temps.

I understand. The OP hails from a location at 9000 ft elevation in the Rocky Mountains. So it can drop below 0F several nights per year, just as it does here in Chicagoland. I have seen it get to minus 28 F one winter (brrr!).

If you plan to do winter cooks in Alaska, you might consider adding ceramic fiber furnace insulation between the double walls of your griddle. If your grill is exposed to wind, that will quickly sap the heat. Anything you can do to shelter the grill from wind exposure would be as helpful as insulation, maybe more so. Unlike the winds here in Chicagoland that come from the west most of the year, I understand that due your proximity to the North Pole that winds tend to vary in direction with the winter winds coming from the north and east, just ascerbating the problem. Thus, you are going to need to have an enclosure on multiple sides, or one that can be adjusted as needed depending upon wind direction. While you want to block the wind, you still need air flow around the grill, so do not try to enclose it completely.

I guess Traeger figured that since their new grills come with double walls that very few people would be interested in paying extra for an insulation blanket. BBQ is a cuisene developed in the southeastern and southern states. While it has become popular all over the USA and around the world, it is still tends to be more common in the central and southern states than elsewhere. I suspect that is where much of the Traeger customer base is located. In those areas, an insulation blanket is seldom required, so Traeger might not believe there is sufficient customer base to justify designing blankets for every model. If someone could design an insulation blanket, I am sure there are companies in China that could build it, but whether it would be commercially viable is another question.

Back