Hard to start and low temp

sanddan52

Reaction score
Grill
Lil Tex
I have an older Li'l Tex, made in USA, that has started to be very hard to start. When it does get running I can't get a temp higher that about 290 deg. Digital controller, again made in USA back then. I recently replaced the burner tube as I thought that was the issue as it had several holes and needed replacement but it didn't fix the issue. I don't think it's the heating rod as that was replaced not long ago. When starting it seems to have a hard time "lighting off", Seems to "sputter" several times before you hear the change in sound when the burner is going and the smoke lessens. The only parts not replaced through the years is the fan and the auger motor. I can hear the fan running, no idea if it is moving enough air. Could the auger going out cause the hard start?

No input? No one has an idea of what might be going on here?

I had a problem with mine getting over 350 degrees and had to replace the rtd sensor

The RTD sensor seems like a good 1st step. Try cleaning the crud from the outer sheath with a scotch brite pad first.

I have an older Li'l Tex, made in USA, that has started to be very hard to start. When it does get running I can't get a temp higher that about 290 deg. Digital controller, again made in USA back then. I recently replaced the burner tube as I thought that was the issue as it had several holes and needed replacement but it didn't fix the issue. I don't think it's the heating rod as that was replaced not long ago. When starting it seems to have a hard time "lighting off", Seems to "sputter" several times before you hear the change in sound when the burner is going and the smoke lessens. The only parts not replaced through the years is the fan and the auger motor. I can hear the fan running, no idea if it is moving enough air. Could the auger going out cause the hard start?

Welcome to the forum @sanddan52 - Please let us know if you were able to get this fixed and what the solution was for you.

Back