Happy to be on here

Kegoya

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Hello from Kure Japan:) my first try made for a long day:oops:
Just got an Ironwood 650 setup and tried a 9 lb boneless Boston Butt as my first cook. Followed recommended guide on traeger site: grill temp 225, probe set to shutdown at 195. Started at 1pm. Temp reached 154 at 10pm so I filled hopper and went to bed. At 6am temp was at 174...far from 195. What to do? Took it off, stuck it in a crock pot on high for 4 hrs then it was done. I calibrated probe with ice water as recommended when I set grill up. Disappointing first time result not to mention 20lbs of pellets used over the 17 hrs.

Maybe better luck on next try...anyways really like the forum info.

At 6am temp was at 174...far from 195. What to do?
Keep cooking it! or are you saying at 174° it AUTO shutdown??

TIP#1 You cannot go "by the book" on the Traeger cooking guides because every piece of meat is different and requires different times and temps.... they are only "guides" not absolutes.

Tip#2 me personally, I cut 9lb butts in half and cook 4.5lbers, a little shorter time and more bark surface, still same great taste!!

Tip#3 If you want my opinion do not rely on your Traeger Meat Probe for anything including an AUTO shutdown!! NO WAY.

Your "better luck next time" will come if you use a better 3rd party meat probe and you monitor your cook till the IT is done.

HOWEVER I will give you points for saving it in a crock pot, that didn't hurt anything as the SMOKE flavor was already done penetrating the meat anyway. (y)

user736_pic399_1278284669_thumb.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Latest Discussions

Back