Hamburgers on Traeger

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
Well, after a year of owning the grill I finally decided to try some burgers on it. First attempt was OK. The burgers looked good, but kinda dry. I started off with Costco brand 80/20 grass fed beef patties. Before taking them out to the grill I seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. I used the super smoke mode on 200 for 1 hour. Cranked the grill up to 400 and then cooked the burgers for another 2-3 minutes per side until they hit 160. Here are some final pics. Any suggestions to make 'em better?

traeger-burgers1.jpeg

traeger-burgers2.jpeg

They look good in the picture. Nice color to them.

Nice color, but grass fed hamburger is pretty lean. Smoking for an hour is the culprit for the dryness. Give 375 a try and cook to 145 internal and you will get a nice pink juice burger inside and the same color. I do every time with 80/20 ground sirloin from HEB.

I typically use my grillgrates when making burgers, flip them over to the flat side and usually do a thick smash burger on them. The grill is usually set at 400, and the burgers take about 10 min, 3 min sear on each side and then I place them on the top rack until the desired IT

I follow what my local burger place uses for different patties;
Burgers 450F
Rest at room temp 20min minimum
Drop patties, baste tops with glaze.
4min "impossible" flip, baste, add cheese.
4min beef flip, baste, add cheese.
7min turkey, baste, cheese.
Cook till…
Beef & Impossible
Med Rare= 130F
Medium= 140F*
Med Well= 155F
Well Done= 165F+
Turkey/Chicken= 165F

I have made some great burgers on my pellet grill. Smoke at 225 until temp is 130-135. pull off and bring it up to high/450 for 10 minuets or so and sear them 3-4 minutes on each side. put cheese on after the first flip. They come out amazing.

Nice color, but grass fed hamburger is pretty lean. Smoking for an hour is the culprit for the dryness. Give 375 a try and cook to 145 internal and you will get a nice pink juice burger inside and the same color. I do every time with 80/20 ground sirloin from HEB.
Oh how I miss HEB. We cook our 85/15 burgers on smoke for 10-15 minutes the 400 for another 15. Juicy and smoky. Depending on thickness of patties might cook an extra 5-6 minutes.

I really like the smoke then sear idea with beef. Seems to work great with the steaks.

Does anyone have opinions on removing the burgers while the grill is adjusting to the final temperature? Meaning, in the recipe above, it says primeone cranked the grill up to 400, but do you just leave the burgers on the grill while the grill is heating from 200 to 400? It seems like you might be better served to remove the burgers during that time, or at least put them on the highest grill. Just curious what other think.

I purchased a Baking Steel
Preheat the steel for 15 to 30 minutes at 450+
And do smashburgers!!
Best burgers going about 4 minutes per side.
It works great for pizza as well

I purchased a Baking Steel
Preheat the steel for 15 to 30 minutes at 450+
And do smashburgers!!
Best burgers going about 4 minutes per side.
It works great for pizza as well

Share a link?? since we have the same size grills

Back