Hamburgers - Grill vs Traeger

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
I have yet to do Hamburgers on the Traeger. I'm planning a small get together this weekend and trying to decide if I should use the Traeger or bring the Weber propane grill out. I wanted to get some input from you guys that have mastered Hamburgers on pellet grills!

I would cook on the Traeger over propane any day for anything. Charcoal maybe maybe not.

Burgers sear up fine on the Traeger. It is quicker with grillgrates but it will still sear nicely without them. Cheers!

Burgers are tasty on the Traeger. there is no burnt crust and propane taste , they brown evenly and taste great, my family prefers the Traeger. Used to cook them 3 to 4 times a week on my old junior, they became addictive. I'm getting more creative with the Ironwood but snausages n burgers are still a staple. Weber Charcoal grill is second and propane grill is sitting unused around the side of the house ready for the dump.

Last edited:
Burgers were fine and seared fine on my traeger but if I'm being honest I prefer them a bit more without the smoke taste. I like charcoal taste with burgers but smoke is different and I prefer using my gasser.

For those erring on side of the Traeger, do you pop them on then close the lid then just flip once? I have a Weber propane also and am still on the fence - thinking at the moment I prefer the greater sear of the propane for burgers but also think I am being seduced by the idea of Traeger cooked...

Use the Traeger! :)

Traeger all the way. Weber charcoal grill would be my second choice. Gasser, I haven’t had one in so long I forget what they even are.?

For those erring on side of the Traeger, do you pop them on then close the lid then just flip once? I have a Weber propane also and am still on the fence - thinking at the moment I prefer the greater sear of the propane for burgers but also think I am being seduced by the idea of Traeger cooked...
On the junior I'd set it on high and let'r rip for 7 min a side. With the ironwood I actually like the grill in the high position and I smoke the burgers partially defrosted @160 and super smoke for 25-45 min. take em off and set the grill to 425 7-8 min. If I'm in a hurry partially defrosted burgers @450 deg 7 min a side. I put square ciabatta's on the grill and cheese on the burger last minute. When I'm really on fire I make peppers n onions sauted in butter with McCormicks Roasted Red Pepper n Garlic, salt, ground pepper and a shot of Franks

We make burgers using a tbsp of McCormick Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic per lb of costco's lean ground beef course ground black pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder. 6 oz per patty formed and frozen. Everyone loves the Traeger's burgers. I wish we could always use fresh ground meat but it'd be wasteful and an asspain.

Info overload eh!
Bryan

When I do burgers I patty them out, season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Smoke them for an hour, pull them, crank the heat to high. Once I get close to 450-ish, throw them back on, about 4 minutes a side. Come out great every time .

Try adding a 1/2 cup of dill pickle juice to every pound of hamburger.

Trust me!!
Willing to take a flyer on that.

Also something I want to try .... taco burgers. Season with a packet of taco seasoning, top with all the traditional taco toppings. One of my fave burger joints did one as their weekly special a while back. It was amazing!

Thanks for all of the tips and discussion! Has anyone tried Good Ol' Boys Burger seasoning? I just picked some up to try out.

Latest Discussions

Back