Grillgrates and Heatwave

PaulyPaul

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575, Ironwood 650
Just ordered some Grillgrates, noticed that they are also peddling a device by Smokin Brothers called the Heatwave. Has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Would have added it to my order but Grillgrates was out of them. Went to the Smokin Brothers website, but then reconsider ordering it. Not sure if it is a device that is used in place of the grill grates or along with them. Almost $50 with shipping seems a little expensive for a couple of pieces of bent stainless steel. Would have no problem buying them if I could have found more info on them that was not trying to sell them.

Last edited:
GrillGrate’s are probably the best thing you can pair with a traeger in my opinion.

For sure, have heard a lot of great stuff about them. Mine should be here by Friday.

The Heatwave is suppose to direct heat on to the grill grates to make them even hotter. Thing is by my understanding on the GG is that they work through efficiently directing heat through them to the food being cooked.

I have Grill Grates but will take a look..Thanks for sharing!!!

Any difference between buying the grillgrates vs the cast iron grate on the Traeger website?

I have a pro 575, would 2 GG be plenty or 3?

Are these easy to clean? Is 2 enough for an Ironwood 650?

Any difference between buying the grillgrates vs the cast iron grate on the Traeger website?

I have a pro 575, would 2 GG be plenty or 3?
GrillGrates are the way to go...The 780 takes 6 panels to completely cover..Panels are 5.25" wide so you will need to measure for proper fit.

Most people cover the entire grill? You just leave them on & brush clean like a normal grill.

So, would you just keep the Grillgrates on and take off the regular grill and use it for cooking and for smoking or just use the Grillgrates for cooking/searing and keeping the original grate for smoking? I think these might be a really good replacement for my gas grill.

So, would you just keep the Grillgrates on and take off the regular grill and use it for cooking and for smoking or just use the Grillgrates for cooking/searing and keeping the original grate for smoking? I think these might be a really good replacement for my gas grill.

Either or. I just got mine and order the size recommended by Grill Grates. That being said they are too short to replace my original grates. Not that I wanted to to do that as I was just going to use them as a sear station.

I see many folks saying they use them as a original grill replacement. One thing you will find, they are much higher quality (and more expensive) than the grates that came with your Traeger.

Ya, with the Ironwood Great not being a perfect square and being movable up & down, I'm not sure you could replace the original. DOes the recommended extend the whole width of your grill? I was thinking of getting a couple panels to do steaks & burgers on, but still have room on other side for something I don't need to sear...

Are these easy to clean? Is 2 enough for an Ironwood 650?

Seem easy enough to clean. GG sells all sorts of cleaning accessories for them, if you are into that. The sear station comes with three grates and a special spatula that I forgot about the first and only time I used them. I will try the spatula this weekend. So far I am happy with them. They were a little pricey but seem to easily put a nice sear on some Ribeyes. I think two would have been enough but I only usually grill for three people.

Most people cover the entire grill? You just leave them on & brush clean like a normal grill.

Come to think about it I thought I read somewhere that covering entire grill with them will interrupt the convection effect of the Traeger.

Latest Discussions

Back