Grill Grates

34Vince

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Good Morning, I have been searching several old threads on grill grates. What I haven’t found yet is what temperature are you setting your traeger at when using them. My timberline goes to 500, but didn’t know with the grill grate rise in temperature if that would be too hot. Also, I really want to buy Meater temperature probes and I have heard that they cannot handle heat above 500 anyway. Any input on either subject would be great. If you are using both together I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!

I just used my new grill grates for the first time this weekend and will be using them again today. I used my meater probe when doing the steak and had no problems with it handling the temperature. I think it is the grates that increase in temperature as they hold and build heat better than standard grates and not so much the internal temperature of the grill. After the first run I was very satisfied with their performance, and will be doing another bone in ribeye tonight.
FEAB9CF7-4AC4-43A4-8AB3-EEA5750DB9D7.jpeg
503913DE-DF7F-4311-8CD4-CC82BCDF0602.jpeg

I use my Grill Grates all the time. Set the grill to High and make sure that you give it at least 10-15 min to get good and hot. I use my Meater Probes and have never had a problem.

steak.jpg

Thanks for the great replies! I’m very happy to hear that both of you are using them both at the same time. When you say that you are setting your grill to high, is that 500 degrees or something less? Thanks again!!

Thanks for the great replies! I’m very happy to hear that both of you are using them both at the same time. When you say that you are setting your grill to high, is that 500 degrees or something less? Thanks again!!
I put mine on the high setting... Which says 450 on the controller display. I would say the hotter the better and as long as your meater probe is not laying on the grill grate I would think you would be fine if yours goes to 500. I would guess at the cooking surface on 500 your probably around 475. When mine says 450 the meater probe at the most says low 400's.

I set mine to 500, tonight I’m going to let the grates heat up for a longer period of time. I’ll post the results later

Thanks again for both of your help. Both your searing looks great.
PriceMP5, how did the Brussel sprouts taste? Did you cook those on traeger also?

Brussel sprouts were cooked on the traeger also and turned out great, 425 for somewhere between 15-20 min. I roast em the same way I would in the oven.
Cooked another steak with my grill grates and unfortunately a small fire started after I drizzled some butter on the one side after flipping. I’m assuming the butter burned on the grates and that was the culprit to some extra searing on the one side due to the fire. The sear on first side down was competition worthy but I unfortunately started eating before taking a picture.

Sorry to hear about the small fire, glad it wasn’t anything too serious. Did the Meater thermometer let you know of higher temps to let you know that you had a fire or did you notice the fire right away after applying the butter?
Also for those of you that have a Meater thermometer, do you have/use an instant read thermometer? Which brand? I have read all sorts of great reviews on the MK4, but didn’t know if anyone was using anything cheaper with similar temperature speeds. Thanks!

Yes, I use a MK4 with my Meater to just double check temps in different areas of the meat. Surprisingly, the Meater is pretty accurate if I test where the probe is in the meat with my MK4.

Sorry to hear about the small fire, glad it wasn’t anything too serious. Did the Meater thermometer let you know of higher temps to let you know that you had a fire or did you notice the fire right away after applying the butter?
Also for those of you that have a Meater thermometer, do you have/use an instant read thermometer? Which brand? I have read all sorts of great reviews on the MK4, but didn’t know if anyone was using anything cheaper with similar temperature speeds. Thanks!
I have an mk4 that is really easy to use, and I also use the thermoworks dot which I like a lot. The dot is nice because The alarm beeps and if I’m not home my girlfriend instantly calls me to ask what she needs to do lol

Back