Grill for a college house

midwest

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 780
My daughter and two male friends are renting a house this upcoming year for college. Was thinking about getting them a cheap grill, none of them really cook much but you gotta learn somewhere. Was thinking about getting them one of the lowered prices pellet grills, but not sure if I want to do that or a cheap gasser. Honestly not sure how much they'll use it but seems even for a newbie the pellet grills are a little easier to learn on. Less flair ups, etc. If I do get one I will be in the market for "decent' low priced make/model, so would love the input on that. Anyone have thoughts on some young kids using gas v pellets? They do have a garage near the back door so it won't have to sit outside which will help keep the pellets fresh.

I suggest that you wait for a semester or two to let them get settled and then get them a portable gas or charcoal grill. Pellet grills are too complicated and are never going to be used.

Where will the students be living? If they will be in the upper midwest, winter might be colder than they want for outside grilling. While a Traeger can be used for low and slow cooks even when temperatures are below freezing, I rarely use mine unless the temperature is expected to be above 50F. Of course, college kids might not be phased by the cold.

Wait until the students show a definite interest in outdoor cooking. If all they want is something capable of grilling a few burgers or brats from time to time, a charcoal fired hibachi style grill might be all they need. Because it is portable, they could also take it to a park for a picnic.

I think I a Sous Vide kit and a food saver would be a better/easier option that would not only be inexpensive (compared to a pellet grill) and they would benefit from the ease of cooking with a college schedule along with the crazy lifestyle of college kids. It would give you more of a reason to smoke meats more often. You would benefit from gaining experience they would have easily prepared meals.

I think I a Sous Vide kit and a food saver would be a better/easier option that would not only be inexpensive (compared to a pellet grill) and they would benefit from the ease of cooking with a college schedule along with the crazy lifestyle of college kids. It would give you more of a reason to smoke meats more often. You would benefit from gaining experience they would have easily prepared meals.
Agreed.

The nice thing about Sous Vide is that you can start the cook in the morning or at lunchtime and leave it in until meal time. If dinner gets delayed, you do not have to worry about ruining the meal.

If the student living quarters has sufficient freezer space, you should smoke a turkey, chicken, ham or pork shoulder and divided it up in meal size portions and freeze it for them to reheat later using Sous Vide. Such a meal would be healthier than stopping off at a fast food place.

Thanks for all the input. I have been cooking outdoors for years and years. I think for the most part the pellet grill is less complicated compared to others. Still not sure which route I'll go but my thoughts are young kids would rather push a button, set a temp, and go. Who knows though....

Thanks for all the input. I have been cooking outdoors for years and years. I think for the most part the pellet grill is less complicated compared to others. Still not sure which route I'll go but my thoughts are young kids would rather push a button, set a temp, and go. Who knows though....
the pellets aren’t quick to though. And they require more routine cleaning than a gas grill. Two things there kids and new cookers don’t always like to do or have. Have patience and clean.

That said my friend got into the pellet game with a lesser Pit Boss that was on sale at Wal Mart and loves it. Seems like s solid option if you go that route. He’s been cooking on a Komodo Joe or Egg for years but he likes the simplicity of the pellet for things like ribs and Boston butt. It doesn’t have wifi but the PB seems like a good entry option

A cheap propane grill gets my vote. Something that they can turn on that heats up quick, cook a few burgers, and turn off.

Latest Discussions

Back