Grill doesn't get fully up to temperature

llynbrmm

Reaction score
Good morning all, I recently inherited a Traeger with a house purchase, and am having some issues with temperature when running. No matter what temperature I set it to, it seems to get up to about 25-30 degrees below that temp quickly enough, but doesn't go up the final 25 degrees. If I want something set at 350, I have to set the grill to 375 and it'll sit around the 350 mark. Any ideas what could be causing this? Tried smoking something at 160, and it hung around 140... Am I not allowing enough air flow, too much flow, or something? Thanks!

Get a FireBoard and use that to set the temperature value. So you will do something like set 45- for 400, but you will then know the Temp...

Is this normal? It's fairly new, shouldn't be having issues like this, would rather rix the problem than band-aid solution for it...

It's not a band-aid, but an important tool to help you with using the grill to its potential. This is especially true for long cooks. Also helpful in troubleshooting.

I joined this forum for this reason specifically. I have similar issue. Only owned it for about 6 months and use to be able to cook steaks when I set it to 450. Now it never gets over 390. Any suggestions? I cleaned it, changedout pellets thinking they could be bad, opened firebox nd cleaned it to. Mine is a pro series 34

I joined this forum for this reason specifically. I have similar issue. Only owned it for about 6 months and use to be able to cook steaks when I set it to 450. Now it never gets over 390. Any suggestions? I cleaned it, changedout pellets thinking they could be bad, opened firebox nd cleaned it to. Mine is a pro series 34
I’m having the same issues after a year of use. I’m lucky if I get 400. Haven’t figured out how to fix it.

I’m having the same issues after a year of use. I’m lucky if I get 400. Haven’t figured out how to fix it.

Maybe empty your hopper and vac it out.. empty the auger tube and vac it out... make sure your firepot is clean from clumps and the igniter is clean, then clean you temp probe carefully.

Thank you. I’ve emptied the hopper and vacuumed it out. Firepot is clean. Not sure how to clean out the auger tube. Also any recommendation on how to clean the temp probe?

Also any recommendation on how to clean the temp probe?
just use a warm paper towel and mild soap... or I've used alcohol before... (plenty of that around)
be careful with the tip so you don't damage it

What model Traeger do you have? If you have a single wall construction model, and your outside temperatures are in the 30's or lower, you may need a thermal blanket or a welders blanket to hold the heat in during cold weather cooks.

Latest Discussions

Back