Help! Grease bucket

Sean15

Reaction score
Grill
Traegar
Can you suggest any tools or sprays to clean the crevice and grease trap of my grill?

I also am looking for suggestions on blocking the grease bucket as my dog keeps on trying to eat out of it.

I am like you in hating to clean the crease chute of my grill. I solve the problem by cooking primarily on the top rack. I place a pan underneath the meat to catch drippings. I line the pan with foil and toss the foil and wash the pan after every cook. If you need both racks for cooking, then this solution might not work for you.

You should be able to wipe out the grease chute with a paper towel. For stubborn grease, you might need a cleaner such as Traeger grill cleaner, Simple Green or a citrus based degreaser.

Can you suggest any tools or sprays to clean the crevice and grease trap of my grill?

I also am looking for suggestions on blocking the grease bucket as my dog keeps on trying to eat out of it.

What grill do you have?? that depends actually.

►Pick the bucket up and put it inside your grill between cooks. Shove a paper towel or shop towel wad inside your chute to stop further dripping.
►Get a LARGE pickle jar and put it in your bucket, after each cook put the LID on the jar... dog won't get that.

For cleaning the grease chute and other parts of the inside of your grill: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-in-1-Painter-s-Tool-18PT0846/309098036

The Traeger spray works good. I like this stuff too: https://www.homedepot.com/p/23-oz-BBQ-and-Grill-Cleaner-Degreaser-3100202/304192473

My dogs always mess with the grease bucket on mine too if I leave it on. I usually take it off and put it inside the grill in between cooks. Easier to get the cover on without it hanging there anyways. Can't tell you how many times I knocked it off and had to scrub grease spots out of my patio.

Okay - I'm the newest of noobe's on the forum & have only cooked twice on my new toy. After the grill cools, I take a paper towel to the chute. I also want to remove the bucket so it doesn't fall (and the dog doesn't get into it!) Other have suggested just storing inside the grill. At first glance the chute on my Pro 780 is about 1.5" sq, so I'm considering walking through Lowes and/or Depot and seeing if I can find some sort of plug. Maybe PVC? Maybe cork? Maybe wood (aren't 2x2's actually 1.5" sq?) I'll look through the kitchen as well to see if any packaged products have a square top that can be made to fit.

If nothing else, maybe a few pieces of fat painters tape across the outside. That would prevent any leaks between cooks. Granted, tape isn't going to stop a flood of grease, but if the unit has cooled and I've wiped it out, I don't imagine I'll get more then a few drips. Thoughts? Anyone out there good with metal work? I suspect someone who knows what they are doing, could build a metal plug with a gasket around the edge.

Low Tech: Plastic bag & rubber band?
Also, Just found on Amazon (although we don't need a 20-count bag!): https://www.amazon.com/Prescott-Plastics-Square-Flexible-Rubber/dp/B07MDLCPY6?th=1

Again, all these ideas are for after the grill has cooled and have at least wiped out the chute with a rag or paper towel.

Just thinking out loud,

-PH

Last edited:
I use these

I use a share wood chisel for the crevice and pare that carries the grease to the bucket. Been doing it for years. Not much help for the dog and the bucket.

As others, I store my bucket in the grill when not in use and I use a paint scraper to clean the grease channel (Pro 780) after liberally spraying with citrus degreaser and letting sit for about a min.

You can find all kinds of plastic or rubber caps for your grease shoot if you know the exact size you need. Kinda depends on if you want something to go inside the shoot or on the outside. This place has all kinds of plugs and caps: https://www.exercise-equipment-parts.com/capsandplugs.html

I've never gotten anything from them before, so can't vouch for them one way or the other.

Yep. It's used to scrape the gasket off ceramic cookers. Fits perfect in the square great spout
Off the subject but it looks like it’s pretty hot in Awesome Texas. Excuse the play on words.

Here's the Olive Jar in action. Good think I love olives and dirty martinis. 🍸

1656130039226.png

Back