Gen 2 Controller in Gen 1 Timberline 1300

O2TUNA

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone had ever replaced their Gen 1 Controller with the new controller for the Gen 2 Timberlines? Traeger customer service screwed up and is sending me out the correct controller, but I understand these new controllers have some upgrades to them?

What I was thinking of doing is installing it in my Gen 1 Traeger and then ordering replacement parts for the variable speed fan, and increased auger motor to essentially retrofit my Gen 1 into a Gen 2?

Or simply has anyone just swapped out their old controller for a new one?

Thanks!

Did you end up doing this? Traeger just send me out a bunch of gen 2 parts for my 1300 and now all I need is a gen 2 controller and I can just change everything over from gen 1 to gen 2.

Last edited:
Sorry O2TUNA Gen 1 is AC (alternating current) while Gen2 is DC (Direct Current) electrical speaking so they are not compatible. that said I will buy your Gen 2 D2 controller if you have available for my Dads unit!

Even if I replace every part in the grill including the plug it wouldn’t work? I also only have the gen 2 auger motor, fan, and hot pot with fire rod

I think it comes down to the power supply unit for AC / DC. It sounds like you have all the parts, but is the power supply unit attached to one of those pieces? ie the power cord

The power cord is attached to the controller. So if I change to the new d2 controller then I can change the power supply to DC. Maybe that will work?

I would say yes. But really think it though..... The power cord is meaningless / what does does that plug into - and then what does that attach too - and then is everything isolated to the controller. watch out for a power brick that may be off the "plug in" from the main "plug in" power controller....

I am 100% sure you would be safe if you mapped it back from the plug to Trager if you made sure all components were replaced internally with DC compatibility (there is a power box before the power connects to the controller)

Thanks for the info and help. I’m going to go check it out in the morning and look for a power box and map the power supply. Hoping to make a complete transfer if possible.

The gen 2 DC units have a power supply module clamped inside of the lower pellet bay. It looks like a laptop style power supply. The power cord plugs directly into it. The rear power switch is on the DC side and switches DC to the controller.

The DC power module is always powered, even if the power switch is off. This means that I would normally unplug my grill unless trying to get an upgrade.

Do you think it’s possible to change from timberline 1300 gen 1 power supply to a gen 2? Starting to sound like a big undertaking if I want everything to be gen 2

Do you think it’s possible to change from timberline 1300 gen 1 power supply to a gen 2? Starting to sound like a big undertaking if I want everything to be gen 2
I would think it would be easy. As long as the firepot/hotrod, fan, auger, and controller fit the same. Adding the DC power module under the pellet hopper would be simple.

I have been trying to get parts to upgrade my AC to DC for years. I found a complete burner assembly for 850 but not for 1300. I believe the D2 burner assembly would bolt right up and be all that is needed.

It is possible they are the same exact part for the timberline models but I would double check with Traeger first.

I changed out my controller on my 620, the only thing that was different from one controller to the other was this brass screw in connector, never did figure out what it was for, since it was not on the original controller. It could be what was mentioned above, for an external power source. Either way, it didnt affect the operation of the smoker, not hooking it up to anything. Its that long wire pictured with the screw in brass connector. If anyone knows what this is for, please let me know, I couldn't find it on any of treagers literature.
1613335535193.png

I changed out my controller on my 620, the only thing that was different from one controller to the other was this brass screw in connector, never did figure out what it was for, since it was not on the original controller. It could be what was mentioned above, for an external power source. Either way, it didnt affect the operation of the smoker, not hooking it up to anything. Its that long wire pictured with the screw in brass connector. If anyone knows what this is for, please let me know, I couldn't find it on any of treagers literature.View attachment 4219
That little cord and gold plated connector is the WIFI antenna jack. You MUST get an antenna, that mates with this connector. On the Timberline's there is a bracket that the antenna mounts to under the pellet hopper.

You can see mine on the lower right

Without an antenna the range will be terrible. The other models have an internal antenna but Timberline's need this.

Here's a link to one;
PC-CASE 2.4g 3dbi WiFi Omni Antenna SMA Male Internal(Pin) Interface for Wireless Router https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UJATBX8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1KYWS81SDRGHW45HK5AB

0C798936-8A49-46B4-8C9D-8492F4B92CA5.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back