Freezing Meat

PorkMyBelly12

Reaction score
Grill
Pro575
Has anyone froze pork shoulders uncooked? Is so does it affect the meat when cooking it? Found pork shoulders on sale and wanted to pick a couple up and freeze them.

I think some here have frozen them... does it affect the meat??? WELL, that meat cooks long and high in finished temp, I would think frozen or not, the meat (if thawed) would cook just fine in the end.
The tissue breakdown comes at 200° so make sure you reach that temp and REST for at least 1hr wrapped up. (I like even longer)

I know sometime last year I asked if anyone noticed any difference working with fresh or frozen meats.
I don't think in our worlds that there are any noticeable differences.
Flash frozen is always the best, but we can't do that at home. Alton Brown on his show Good Eats did a show on freezing meats. This is a transcript from that show so it's not the best format. Scene four he talks about 'drip loss'. Which a result of the freezing method we have available to us via our freezers
"Frozen Cache Transcript" http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/season12/freezer/frozen_cache_tran.htm

None of this would ever keep me from buying something and keeping it the freezer until needed. I haven't noticed any issues with it, and I am cooking for a small audience.
I say buy stuff while it's on sale, handle it and store it in a safe manner and enjoy it when you have the time to cook it

I keep 3 or 4 cryovac butts in the freezer most of the time. After a long cook with seasonings and smoke, and sometimes injection. I really don’t notice any funny taste.

Thanks for the reminder....I have one that I need to thaw out for the upcoming weekend :) I tend to by meat at Restaurant Depot, so it's always a couple of huge butts in a pack, so usually I'll cook one and freeze the other. I've never noticed any difference between them.

I had bought two large butts in a vac bag, cut them in half, vac sealed the 4 pieces and froze.

Recently thawed two in the fridge, then rubbed and smoked. Ate one and sliced up the other, vac sealed, and froze.

All tasted great!

If frozen fresh was bad, Snake River Farms and Omaha Steaks wouldn't exist.

Back