FoodSaver and other vacuum sealers

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER #traegergameday Wins 2022/2024
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Im considering purchasing a vacuum sealer. Not looking to spend a bunch of bucks on one. Looking for a basic one that will get the job done. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a basic Foodsaver brand. It does okay and wasn't a huge cash investment

Foodsaver... I've had one for many years and it's still working perfect.
Foodsaver runs tons of special sales, some of them not lasting long so you would want to get their mailer.
I was just thinking the other day of running a Foodsaver thread here.

Foodsaver... I've had one for many years and it's still working perfect.
Foodsaver runs tons of special sales, some of them not lasting long so you would want to get their mailer.
I was just thinking the other day of running a Foodsaver thread here.
Okay. Its running!
I know nothing about them so the more info the merrier.

I am interested in seeing if anyone has tried any of the other brands. Like Cabela's line of sealers. I have often considered those as a replacement if mine ever stops working.
I have a 10" Cabela's slicer and I would not recommend it. Slicing meat winds up spraying remnants everywhere off of the blade. I have to tape off plastic in my kitchen like a Dexter kill room to slice meats. Their newer design has the blade on more of an angle, but I don't see how that could help with the blade flinging meat off of it

I have to tape off plastic in my kitchen like a Dexter kill room to slice meats.

LMAO2.gif

Food save works great. Look for bags that have thicker layer. I've been buying ZipLock vacuum bags as they are much thicker than the FoodSaver bag and that is essential if you end up moving things around in your freezer over the course of a couple of years. Key is not damaging the frozen bag.

I had a good chunk of on of my briskets in a Foodsaver bag that was 4 years old, but still sealed well and no freezer burn. I reheated it on an induction hotplate set to 150 degrees for several hours before dinner.

It turned out fantastic. You could still smell the smoker when I cut the bag open. Amazing!

Food save works great. Look for bags that have thicker layer. I've been buying ZipLock vacuum bags as they are much thicker than the FoodSaver bag and that is essential if you end up moving things around in your freezer over the course of a couple of years. Key is not damaging the frozen bag.

I had a good chunk of on of my briskets in a Foodsaver bag that was 4 years old, but still sealed well and no freezer burn. I reheated it on an induction hotplate set to 150 degrees for several hours before dinner.

It turned out fantastic. You could still smell the smoker when I cut the bag open. Amazing!
If worried about thickness, would it be possible to double bag?

If worried about thickness, would it be possible to double bag?

yes but that's probably more $$ than just buying thicker bags... I've never had a Foodsaver bag fail but I don't do the kind of storage GrillMeister does.

Im considering purchasing a vacuum sealer. Not looking to spend a bunch of bucks on one. Looking for a basic one that will get the job done. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I bought a cheap one last year by Ziploc on Amazon, under $50 and some rolls of vacuum bag material.
It works great, I've mainly used it for jerky, and as soon as is cools off will make cold smoked salmon and seal up portions.

You don't have to spend a lot to get great results, here's something similar as the Ziploc brand ones seem to be gone at the moment;

IMG_7141.jpg
IMG_7142.jpg

I bought a cheap one last year by Ziploc on Amazon, under $50 and some rolls of vacuum bag material.
It works great, I've mainly used it for jerky, and as soon as is cools off will make cold smoked salmon and seal up portions.

You don't have to spend a lot to get great results, here's something similar as the Ziploc brand ones seem to be gone at the moment;

View attachment 2799View attachment 2800
That pretty much what I'm looking for and in the price range also!

I suspect with all of the lock downs, sales of these sealers went way up.
The Ziploc unit was $42 well spent! Fortunately there seem to be more choices now.

I personally do not recommend the food saver one, I have it and it works but the Quality just isn’t good compared to some of friends and family members vacuum sealers

Latest Discussions

Back