Help! First try Brisket failure advice needed

Curless85

Reaction score
Grill
Pro series 34
I attempted my first brisket in my pro 34 using the midnight brisket recipe. I used a bigger brisket than it called for. I used a 9lb choice flat cut. I followed the recipe except the size of the brisket and I pulled it to wrap it at 157 instead of 160. I let it go till 204 then fork tested. It was tough. I let it keep going. It reached 210 and still tough. The temp stayed at 210 and wouldn’t budge. After another hour or so, the temp dropped to 208 so I pulled it. That was right at 13 hours and it was dry. Flavor was good but dry. Anybody have any advice or ideas where I went wrong?

You did not mention what temp you cooked at, how much fat did you trim off? The details you mention don't sound that far of the mark to cause an issue.

At a guess it sounds like a meat quality issue.

You did not mention what temp you cooked at, how much fat did you trim off? The details you mention don't sound that far of the mark to cause an issue.

At a guess it sounds like a meat quality issue.

I smoked at 180 till the internal meat temp was 157. Then wrapped it, raised the temp to 225 and smoked till the temp was 204. Checked it and it was tough.

I smoked at 180 till the internal meat temp was 157. Then wrapped it, raised the temp to 225 and smoked till the temp was 204. Checked it and it was tough. I trimmed as most of the fat. I left a very small layer on.

I smoked at 180 till the internal meat temp was 157. Then wrapped it, raised the temp to 225 and smoked till the temp was 204. Checked it and it was tough.
I would finish cooking at a temp of 325 until the internal reaches 204. Then it would be done sooner and you could let it rest in a cooler to keep the heat in. But letting it rest would allow the juices to reabsorb into the meat. Alternatively you could try injecting during the smoke or prior to wrapping. Everyone likes their brisket differently and mastering your way takes lots of times. I do about half a dozen per year for the last 9 years. It's still not perfect but I'm getting really close.

I would finish cooking at a temp of 325 until the internal reaches 204. Then it would be done sooner and you could let it rest in a cooler to keep the heat in. But letting it rest would allow the juices to reabsorb into the meat. Alternatively you could try injecting during the smoke or prior to wrapping. Everyone likes their brisket differently and mastering your way takes lots of times. I do about half a dozen per year for the last 9 years. It's still not perfect but I'm getting really close.
Thank you for your assistance. I’ll make some adjustments and try again.

I attempted my first brisket in my pro 34 using the midnight brisket recipe. I used a bigger brisket than it called for. I used a 9lb choice flat cut. I followed the recipe except the size of the brisket and I pulled it to wrap it at 157 instead of 160. I let it go till 204 then fork tested. It was tough. I let it keep going. It reached 210 and still tough. The temp stayed at 210 and wouldn’t budge. After another hour or so, the temp dropped to 208 so I pulled it. That was right at 13 hours and it was dry. Flavor was good but dry. Anybody have any advice or ideas where I went wrong?

Curless85, The quality of the Brisket is very important. I buy Prime at Costco. Season your Brisket. I place mine on my Traeger Ironwood 885 at 225 degrees and smoke it for approximately 4 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees. I spray the brisket with Apple juice every hour to keep it from drying out At around 150 degrees internal, I remove the Brisket from stove and double wrap it in Butcher paper. Back on the stove until the internal temperature reaches 195 degrees. I remove the brisket from the stove and let it rest for about an hour. You can also put a container of liquid in the store to prevent the drying out process. Hope this is helpful.

Curless85, The quality of the Brisket is very important. I buy Prime at Costco. Season your Brisket. I place mine on my Traeger Ironwood 885 at 225 degrees and smoke it for approximately 4 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees. I spray the brisket with Apple juice every hour to keep it from drying out At around 150 degrees internal, I remove the Brisket from stove and double wrap it in Butcher paper. Back on the stove until the internal temperature reaches 195 degrees. I remove the brisket from the stove and let it rest for about an hour. You can also put a container of liquid in the store to prevent the drying out process. Hope this is helpful.

When you say the Temperature of the Brisket stalled and dropped that will happen because of the water content in the Brisket.

Back