First brisket on the Ironwood 885

GrillMeister

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
I filled my hopper with mesquite pellets from B&B and put this monster 20.2 Wagyu brisket on Saturday night around 11:30 pm. Set the Ironwood to 210 and super smoke and went to bed.

I woke up to this.

After 10 hours I wrapped in butcher paper and bump the temp to 230 and 5 hours later it was 200 degrees in the flat. It rested for a couple hours in a cooler.

OMG was it good.

I’m impressed with the Ironwood for brisket.

That looks (and sounds) awesome! Do you wrap it based on strictly time? Any idea what temp it was?

That cut of meat probably was as expensive as the grill. Nice work!
Not quite, but it was the first time I've spend $100.50 on. a brisket. Gotta love Costco. I went back for the 4th of July sale and bought a case of 5 at $4.29 /lb.

That looks (and sounds) awesome! Do you wrap it based on strictly time? Any idea what temp it was?

My main concern with the Traeger was all the air movement drying it out, so I wrapped it. It was about 175 in the flat. I had a MEATER probe in the flat and one in the thickest part. It was fun watching the two temps as it cooked and then in the cooler reach equilibrium.

Your Costco sells Wagyu? Ours sells Prime, that's about it. I can't say that I have seen Wagyu in any of our stores, I'm guessing it would have to be shipped in. Nice.

Last edited:
You Costco sells Wagyu? Ours sells Prime, that's about it. I can't say that I have seen Wagyu in any of our stores, I'm guessing it would have to be shipped in. Nice.
That was last year. They brought it in for Fathers day and then again for 4th of July. That 20#er was in the freezer for a year and it turned out spectacular.

Hmm, something to watch out for this coming week then. I may have to go take a visit.

How long could a person keep a cut of meat like this unfrozen in the fridge, or is it just like any other cut and you go by the freeze or prepare by date on the label? That sounds like the obvious answer anyway.

Hmm, something to watch out for this coming week then. I may have to go take a visit.

How long could a person keep a cut of meat like this unfrozen in the fridge, or is it just like any other cut and you go by the freeze or prepare by date on the label? That sounds like the obvious answer anyway.
I'd go by the freeze date. Snake River Farms uses really thick cryovac wrapping. I still have 2 more much smaller briskets from the 4 of July sale last year in the freezer. I'll probably do another one over the holiday....again on the Ironwood 885.

Damn a Costco that sells Wagyu? I'd love to see a picture of one in the raw. Ours out West only has prime but i'm not complaining, sorta. :) Looks great!

Back