Fireboard 2 vs InkBird

Oh ok . I had a Masterbuilt that would connect directly to my phone via wifi and would drop out once I left the area
No problem....it's great to be anywhere and monitor. And if you Traeger has the WiFi connection, it works the same way, and even has an Apple Watch applet that allows you to adjust the grill temp, see pellet percentage etc.

Good luck!

Oh ok . I had a Masterbuilt that would connect directly to my phone via wifi and would drop out once I left the area
That was probably Bluetooth and not wifi
If it was WiFi, it would connect to your home network, not directly to your device

Once the Fireboard is connected to your home network you can access the information via the app pretty much anywhere on the planet as long as you have cell service/internet connection. Works similar to Wifire.

Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than for permission...just saying 😁😄
I have been happy with my Fireboard2 Drive so far. It does everything it is supposed to do, and does it with accuracy and convenience.
I always go the forgiveness route :)

I took early retirement in December 200 and decided to get serious about my cooking. In March I bought my Pro Series 34 and went whole hog, sorry, I had to, on a few accessories including an Inkbird IRF 4S, table, dozens of spices, Mason jars, 140 pounds of pellets, instant-read thermometer, a brand new set of cookware and some amazing Cutluxe knives. She kept asking "how much is this stuff?" I kept telling her not to worry, it'll be worth it. Then I started to cook. She no longer asks me "how much is this stuff?"

This weekend I making my VERY FIRST brisket. I am getting o smoke a beautiful 14 pounder for my July 4 family bbq bash. I am planning on starting on Saturday night around 10 pm, cooking through the night at 250, remove, wrap in butcher paper, cook for an additional 4 hours or so, remove, blanket wrap in my cooler for about 4-6 hours and serve around 6:30 pm.

Attachments

• 20210625_175736.jpg
    20210625_175736.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 13
  • messages_0.jpeg
    messages_0.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210610_174051.jpg
    20210610_174051.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210610_174320.jpg
    20210610_174320.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 12
This weekend I making my VERY FIRST brisket. I am getting o smoke a beautiful 14 pounder for my July 4 family bbq bash. I am planning on starting on Saturday night around 10 pm, cooking through the night at 250, remove, wrap in butcher paper, cook for an additional 4 hours or so, remove, blanket wrap in my cooler for about 4-6 hours and serve around 6:30 pm.
You won’t get much smoke at 250.
This might be a better option…

I originally bought the Ink Bird and ended up giving it to my son-in-law and ordered the Fire Bird 2.

A few pro's of the Ink Bird:
- Cost (as you pointed out)
- Built in magnet so it will stick to the gill w/o having to buy an accessory
- Works OK and I'd say the app is functional

Pro's of the Fire Board 2:
- Seems like a more robust and better built unit (at least to me)
- Better app and functionality. You can save your cook info with temp graphs, notes, and pictures
- I prefer the menu system, screen and screen layout options on the FB vs. the IB
- Room for 6 probes vs 4 on the Ink Bird. This will allow you to monitor multiple cooks (even across two grills if they're close, multiple proteins and/or several ambient probes to get a feel for heat distribution
- Better probes and more options (hint: if you buy FB make sure to buy the competition probes - both long and short. They are awesome)
- Good tech support (never tried Ink Bird in full disclaimer)
- iWatch support (I use this a lot)

If I had to do a quick summary, the Fire Board is the "gold standard" and the Ink Bird is a very good value option. I use several pieces of equipment from Ink Bird in my home brewing and it's a solid "value brand".

At least that's my two cents!
These are all excellent points. There is another "indirect" pro. If you plan to use this forum extensively, having a FireBoard is a great benefit as most of the veterans here use and post their cooks with FireBoard. As a novice this was very useful for me to plan my cooks.

Latest Discussions

Back