Fireboard 2/Thermapen

JS2021

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 780
Hi, after going through many previous threads and communicating on here recently I have been encouraged that I really should not be trusting either the ambient or meat probe on the Traeger, even as a rough guide, particularly if spending all day cooking only to be caught out by incorrect information and it would seem fairly significant temperature swings can occur.

Having watched the Matt Pittman videos, particularly the weekend brisket I was encouraged by the fact that he seemed to trust in the ambient temperatures on the Traeger i.e. he set it to the desired temp on the Traeger for the recipe but perhaps this was altered off film given his role with the company unlikely to document that.

Anyway, with a brisket cook planned to start Friday night I thought I’d take the leap and order a fireboard 2 for accuracy, basic edition as I don’t think I need the drive or pro extras ... unless someone convinces me differently.

I am in the UK and I cannot find it on sale with a next day delivery option. Only from bbq world who don’t deliver until next week. So the simple question is does anyone know of a retailer in the UK selling the fireboard 2?

I am also going to try and pick up a thermapen, my fairly cheap polder thermometer seemed ok in testing (ice cup and boiling water) but poss a touch off and again I am learning that the odd degree can mean the difference between a great result and an under/overcook etc. Is there a major difference between the 3 (£40) and the 4 (£60)?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The MK4 is on sale right now for $69 USD. Not sure if they ship to UK though or if they have the same sale there. The Mk3 is splash-proof but the Mk4 is waterproof. Mk4 also has longer battery life. I'd personally go with the POP over the Mk3 if the waterproof feature isn't important to you.

I am probably one of the few on here that also trusts my Traeger to control temps. I did have problems with my older Pro 22, but my Ironwood has done what it's supposed to do. Does it have temp swings? Sure. But the overall consistency for a long cook has been fine.

The MK4 is on sale right now for $69 USD. Not sure if they ship to UK though or if they have the same sale there. The Mk3 is splash-proof but the Mk4 is waterproof. Mk4 also has longer battery life. I'd personally go with the POP over the Mk3 if the waterproof feature isn't important to you.

I am probably one of the few on here that also trusts my Traeger to control temps. I did have problems with my older Pro 22, but my Ironwood has done what it's supposed to do. Does it have temp swings? Sure. But the overall consistency for a long cook has been fine.
Ok thanks very much for your comments. Very helpful.

Hi, after going through many previous threads and communicating on here recently I have been encouraged that I really should not be trusting either the ambient or meat probe on the Traeger, even as a rough guide, particularly if spending all day cooking only to be caught out by incorrect information and it would seem fairly significant temperature swings can occur.

Having watched the Matt Pittman videos, particularly the weekend brisket I was encouraged by the fact that he seemed to trust in the ambient temperatures on the Traeger i.e. he set it to the desired temp on the Traeger for the recipe but perhaps this was altered off film given his role with the company unlikely to document that.

Anyway, with a brisket cook planned to start Friday night I thought I’d take the leap and order a fireboard 2 for accuracy, basic edition as I don’t think I need the drive or pro extras ... unless someone convinces me differently.

I am in the UK and I cannot find it on sale with a next day delivery option. Only from bbq world who don’t deliver until next week. So the simple question is does anyone know of a retailer in the UK selling the fireboard 2?

I am also going to try and pick up a thermapen, my fairly cheap polder thermometer seemed ok in testing (ice cup and boiling water) but poss a touch off and again I am learning that the odd degree can mean the difference between a great result and an under/overcook etc. Is there a major difference between the 3 (£40) and the 4 (£60)?

Thanks!
Consider that with the Thermapen the lid has to be opened to use it.
Every time the lid is open significant heat is lost, adding to the cooking time.
I understand that you may not be able to get a FB in a couple of days but keep in mind when you open the lid to close it as soon as possible.
Good luck !

Consider that with the Thermapen the lid has to be opened to use it.
Every time the lid is open significant heat is lost, adding to the cooking time.
I understand that you may not be able to get a FB in a couple of days but keep in mind when you open the lid to close it as soon as possible.
Good luck !
Wise words, thank you!

Thanks!
If you do decide to get a FireBoard, make sure that you get the Competition probe set. Sometimes they will exchange the included probes with comp probes when you order. The comp probes are much thinner, straight, easier to use, and much easier to insert in your grill grommet.

As previously stated , “If your looking, your not cooking”
FB2 standard with competition probes, if placed with order they will remove the standard standard probes, and give you a credit.
I use 2 ambient probes and as many as 4 meat probes.

Below 220 my Treager grill probe is within 1 degree of the FB Ambient probe. Then about 350 there is a 40 dregee difference.
FB is the way to go….

As previously stated , “If your looking, your not cooking”
FB2 standard with competition probes, if placed with order they will remove the standard standard probes, and give you a credit.
I use 2 ambient probes and as many as 4 meat probes.

Below 220 my Treager grill probe is within 1 degree of the FB Ambient probe. Then about 350 there is a 40 dregee difference.
FB is the way to go….
With the FB, I have gotten to the point where I don't open the lid during cooking at all.
Last week I cooked a 10 pound pork shoulder (my first overnighter) and my wife asked me if I was going to inspect how the meat was coming along.
She was surprised when I said I did not need to.
Everything turned out very well.
Cooking with thermometers like the FB is liberating !
I did lose some sleep for other reasons.
The weather changed and I was nervous that it would rain and screw up my smoker.
Luckily it did not rain and it all turned very nice.

we had a rain storm when I was doing 321 ribs and the only thing that happened was that I burned more Pellets… Dinner was a success…

Unfortunately I don’t think I will get the opportunity to exchange for the competition probes as will have to order from a third party. No option for me to order direct in the UK. Presumably the standard probes are still ok?

I guess the lid opening tips mean that a thermapen for manual IT checks will be a huge advantage compared to my polder which takes about 10 seconds to register temp usually.

my first all day pork butt cook it rained very hard and apart from what I would consider to be a higher pellet burn rate (based on what I’ve read), the Traeger carried on through no drama with great results.

hoping for no dramas on my overnight brisket cook and it sounds as if the temp should be more accurate for that bit of the cook at 190.

Unfortunately I don’t think I will get the opportunity to exchange for the competition probes as will have to order from a third party. No option for me to order direct in the UK. Presumably the standard probes are still ok?

I guess the lid opening tips mean that a thermapen for manual IT checks will be a huge advantage compared to my polder which takes about 10 seconds to register temp usually.

my first all day pork butt cook it rained very hard and apart from what I would consider to be a higher pellet burn rate (based on what I’ve read), the Traeger carried on through no drama with great results.

hoping for no dramas on my overnight brisket cook and it sounds as if the temp should be more accurate for that bit of the cook at 190.
Surely the reseller has or can get the comp probes. As for the differences, just visit the FireBoard website.

I did ask but they don’t even stock them. I will have to unfortunately upgrade in the future if I need to. I will check out the difference but hopefully the basic probes will do the job!

Latest Discussions

Back