Fire. Help!

Andrew Ediger

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline1300
This is my second fire on my timberline 1300. Is it possible to get grease in the very back liner of this smoker. Really pissed off.

What temperature was it set for the fire? What were you smoking? I would try cleaning the grill and do a little water test after it is put together to see where it is running. Be sure to use a scrapper in the grease channel on the front of the grill. I have pulled chunks out of there that could block the grease from going to the grease trap.

What temperature was it set for the fire? What were you smoking? I would try cleaning the grill and do a little water test after it is put together to see where it is running. Be sure to use a scrapper in the grease channel on the front of the grill. I have pulled chunks out of there that could block the grease from going to the grease trap.
I just got it last month. The temperature was set at 450. But smoking real bad. I said this isn't right. And sure enough it was on fire. Now my very first cook on it was chicken. And that was at 375. And that was my first fire.This is my second treager. The first one i had no issues with. I wanted to do steaks on the smoker. But change of plans now

I just got it last month. The temperature was set at 450. But smoking real bad. I said this isn't right. And sure enough it was on fire. Now my very first cook on it was chicken. And that was at 375. And that was my first fire.This is my second treager. The first one i had no issues with. I wanted to do steaks on the smoker. But change of plans now
That sucks! You might need to do a couple cooks at lower temp first. I have found that the drip tray has gained more of a slope as it has gotten used. I don’t seem to have much puddling of grease now.

That sucks! You might need to do a couple cooks at lower temp first. I have found that the drip tray has gained more of a slope as it has gotten used. I don’t seem to have much puddling of grease now.
My drip tray was bent when I got it. And my grease tray is clean. I just looked at it. So I dont know what im doing wrong. Im calling the company to see what they can do. I paid alot of money for this and it really drives me crazy. And I just got a new drip tray today.

When I do chicken, I put it on a chicken throne. I put the chick and throne on a baking sheet. That does get the drip tray clean of grease.

My drip tray was bent when I got it. And my grease tray is clean. I just looked at it. So I dont know what im doing wrong. Im calling the company to see what they can do. I paid alot of money for this and it really drives me crazy. And I just got a new drip tray today.
If your grease tray is clean (the tray in the bottom of the grill with the small aluminum pan) then that could be your problem. If that tray is clean, grease is backing up before it gets to the catch pan. It could be one of two things:

1. Grease is pooling on the drip tray and grease is not draining into the grease trapping system in the front of the grill. This could happen if the drip tray is not clean (under the liner) or the drip tray is warped and retains grease on the drip pan. Or,

2. Grease is blocked between the grease trapping system and the grease tray in the bottom of your grill. Try pouring some water into the grease trapping system and then check the grease tray to see if water has made it way through to the aluminum pan. If it isn't free flowing, you have a blockage in the grease trapping system.

If your grease tray is clean (the tray in the bottom of the grill with the small aluminum pan) then that could be your problem. If that tray is clean, grease is backing up before it gets to the catch pan. It could be one of two things:

1. Grease is pooling on the drip tray and grease is not draining into the grease trapping system in the front of the grill. This could happen if the drip tray is not clean (under the liner) or the drip tray is warped and retains grease on the drip pan. Or,

2. Grease is blocked between the grease trapping system and the grease tray in the bottom of your grill. Try pouring some water into the grease trapping system and then check the grease tray to see if water has made it way through to the aluminum pan. If it isn't free flowing, you have a blockage in the grease trapping system.
Thank you for the advise. I was looking at the back of the liner. And it looks like I have grease there. So today I'm gonna unscrew the the backing where the smoke comes out of and clean that. Im getting streaks of grease coming off the back and onto the legs. So im gonna give that a try. The new drip tray came in yesterday and that box is destroyed. So I dont even know if that will work now.

Thank you for the advise. I was looking at the back of the liner. And it looks like I have grease there. So today I'm gonna unscrew the the backing where the smoke comes out of and clean that. Im getting streaks of grease coming off the back and onto the legs. So im gonna give that a try. The new drip tray came in yesterday and that box is destroyed. So I dont even know if that will work now.
You mentioned that grease is coming off the backing plate and onto the legs. Is the grease coating both back legs, or the leg closest to the grease management system? I suspect this is where your problem is. Try this before you take off the backing of the grill:

1. Remove the grill grates, grease drip tray, heat baffle, and the grease chute shield. Vaccum the grill barrel and fire pot thoroughly.

2. Run a coat hanger down the grease chute leading to the grease management system and see what comes out. If there is a blockage, boil a pot of water and pour it down the grease chute. If there is a blockage the boiling water should soften the grease enough for it to run into the grease management system. If nothing enters the grease management system then you definitely have a blockage in route to the grease management system collection tray and you have isolated the problem. A blockage could create a grease spillover and coat the leg of your grill on the rear-left side.

This past summer I removed the backing where the smoke comes out and cleaned it thoroughly (and remember I said I use my Timberline 1300 three or four days a week). There was absolutely no grease, just black soot that I removed by spraying it with the Traeger spray cleaner and paper towels. If this doesn't work, then you should call the Traeger help line and explain the problem to them. Since you just bought this grill, at least you will have registered a complaint with them if this becomes a warranty issue.

Good Luck!

Let is know what you find. I just bought a Timberline 1300 and yesterday cranked it to 500 to clean the grates and got a fire also. Fire seems concentrated the towards front so I’m suspecting the grease trough is not functioning properly.

I’m going to try a water test tomorrow to see if the the trough is bent.

Back