Finished Pulled Pork for 100 People

LDAY75300

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger ProSeries 780
PXL_20220811_094856600.jpg
PXL_20220811_213849028.jpg
PXL_20220811_013628435.MP.jpg
Hello All! A while back I asked a question about how much pork shoulder to get for 100 people, and how or IF all the meat would fit in my Pro 780 at one time or if I needed to do multiple cooks...This is my follow up to that. First of all THANK YOU to all who had commented, there were many so I am not going to list them all in here. I ordered my shoulders through Sam's Club and ended up with two cases of shoulders, in all about 130 pounds worth, which was way more than I actually needed, but I bought them both anyway (can't have too much pork laying around if ya got the freezer space right!)

What I did for the cook...I used 9 pork shoulders, each about 6-10 pounds a piece, trimmed a bunch of the fat back off (was about an inch thick on each) then scored the remaining fat back in about 1.5 inch diagonal cuts. Then I injected each with my injection juice (mix of apple cider vinegar/apple juice/dry rub mix). Then smeared on some yellow mustard as a binder and poured on my own mix of dry rub very liberally on each shoulder. I fit 6 on the main grill and 3 on the top rack. Smoked at 180 from 8:30 at night till around 11:00 am when each of them reached 160 or close to. I then took them out, added some injection juice mix over the shoulders and wrapped them in foil, stuck em back in until they hit 205. I had 6 remote probes plus the Traeger probe, so had most of them covered for temp and pulled them out as each hit closer to 205, then threw them in a cooler. The cook was over around 3:30 pm. By 5:30 I had them at the venue and was able to pull them without any issue at all, the meat came out perfect, was very pleased with them, and the crowd was as well.

worthy.gif

Looks very good. How much did you have leftover (if any) ? Or were people taking some home as well?

The nice thing about pulled pork is that it freezes and reheats quite well, so making extra is not a problem. You want to be sure to have the freezer well stocked for those winter days when it is too cold to cook outside. If you did not have any left over from this cook and big crowd, there is still time to other cooks before winter sets in.

View attachment 10080View attachment 10078View attachment 10076Hello All! A while back I asked a question about how much pork shoulder to get for 100 people, and how or IF all the meat would fit in my Pro 780 at one time or if I needed to do multiple cooks...This is my follow up to that. First of all THANK YOU to all who had commented, there were many so I am not going to list them all in here. I ordered my shoulders through Sam's Club and ended up with two cases of shoulders, in all about 130 pounds worth, which was way more than I actually needed, but I bought them both anyway (can't have too much pork laying around if ya got the freezer space right!)

What I did for the cook...I used 9 pork shoulders, each about 6-10 pounds a piece, trimmed a bunch of the fat back off (was about an inch thick on each) then scored the remaining fat back in about 1.5 inch diagonal cuts. Then I injected each with my injection juice (mix of apple cider vinegar/apple juice/dry rub mix). Then smeared on some yellow mustard as a binder and poured on my own mix of dry rub very liberally on each shoulder. I fit 6 on the main grill and 3 on the top rack. Smoked at 180 from 8:30 at night till around 11:00 am when each of them reached 160 or close to. I then took them out, added some injection juice mix over the shoulders and wrapped them in foil, stuck em back in until they hit 205. I had 6 remote probes plus the Traeger probe, so had most of them covered for temp and pulled them out as each hit closer to 205, then threw them in a cooler. The cook was over around 3:30 pm. By 5:30 I had them at the venue and was able to pull them without any issue at all, the meat came out perfect, was very pleased with them, and the crowd was as well.
View attachment 10079
Excellent information! From what I could gather from your success is the time to smoke the six pork shoulders was about the same amount of of time to do one or two. The added meat load did not add to the duration of the smoking time too much. I'm looking at doing the same with Briskets.
Thank you,

Excellent information! From what I could gather from your success is the time to smoke the six pork shoulders was about the same amount of of time to do one or two. The added meat load did not add to the duration of the smoking time too much. I'm looking at doing the same with Briskets.
Thank you,

The additional pieces of meat will not affect the cook time significantly. However, it will affect the quantity of pellets consumed during the cook. Additional meat means additional moisture to evaporate which means additional fuel consumption to provide the heat necessary for evaporation of the moisture.

Back