Few questions before I purchase

Ls1ssws6

Reaction score
Grill
None yet
Hey all, so I'm in the market for a pro series traeger. I currently have a gas/charcoal/smoke box chargrill grill. I love the thought of the ease of use with the traeger and the almost perfectly cooked food everytime but I have a few questions.

1. My wife hates the smoked taste of traditional smoked bbq but loves burgers dogs steaks corn on cob etc on the grill. Can I cook those things on this grill without having a smoke flavor? Which wood is the best for that (I guess least smoke flavor I'm asking).

2. If I just want to bbq some dogs and burgers will it still be "grill tasting" like a traditional grill even though this is an indirect heat? I want to be able to do quick burgers and dogs and spatchcock chicken but also have the option of smoking some ribs or pulled pork etc. I don't want to regret getting this and having to buy a propane grill as well.

Thanks for the input everyone

TheGrumpyGriller

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Well...the lower the temp, the longer the cook and that'll give you more smokey flavor.

As an example, I've done burgers at 225F or less for 60-90 min and they taste different than off I do them at 450F for 5-8 min as they don't have time to get much smoke. At the higher temps, you'll burn through pellets more quickly, but do have some versatility.

And to get seat marks on anything get Grill Grates - they work great at any temp.

Good luck!

Murphy's Law

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780 Bronze
Welcome!

My wife isn’t big on smoky foods but loves the food that comes off the Traeger (Pro 780). What you’ll find, actually is the biggest (or most frequent) complaint about these grills is the “lack of smoke”.

A pellet grill won’t give you the same level of smoky flavor as say an offset smoker. This is a pro or a con depending on tastes. That said, you can always add a smoke tube if you DO want to chase a more smoky taste.

Think of a Traeger as a very nice wood fired outdoor convection oven with tons of

You can cook anything you want on the Traeger; in fact, we did corn on the cob today for lunch. I think you’ll find a lot of us still use a gas grill for things like hot dogs and such just because it’s easier and probably cheaper than burning pellets. But yes - you can absolutely do it! I like sausage on mine, for example.

Regarding woods with the least smoke flavor I think the fruit woods probably generate the least while woods like oak, hickory and mesquite have the most.

Lets us know what you get and stick around for lots of good info. And share your Traeger stories!

OP
OP
L

Ls1ssws6

Reaction score
Grill
None yet
Thanks for the input! I am not actually looking at the pit boss triple function grill. It has one side for propane and one side with the electric pellet smoker which I think is a PERFECT option for us. Have any of you had experience with the pit boss line of grills?

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
You might find answers to your pit boss question here.

Latest Discussions