Favorite Rubs

hughesm82

Reaction score
Grill
Pro Series 34
Hello all! Just bought myself a Pro Series 34. I have been serious into bbqing and smoking for about a year now. I am looking to take my cooking to the next level. I am just interested, what are some of your favorite rubs that you are using and for what? I have been mainly using Head Country, which is really good. But wanting to venture out a little more. I have been looking on Amazon; there is just so much to chose from. Thanks!

Stubbs on amazon is really good and super cheap. The pork rub is fantastic!

For me, I tend to avoid the "salt first" rubs.

Big fan of Adkins for brisket and Butt Rub for pork.

Costco has a mesquite seasoning that I really like for chicken.

But I never stop experimenting. Working with a coffee rub right now. Mixed results, but I think I'm getting it dialed in.

Best overall recommendation I can make is - try them all until you start narrowing the field to what you and the fam like best. Pay attention to the ingredients and remember that the order they are in relates to the amount of that ingredient in the rub.

Have fun!

I like Harry Soo's stuff, the chicken one, Meat Church is pretty good too. For briskit I do only salt/pepper, but for ribs I like to roll my own these days as well. Much more fun and rewarding. You can control color, texture, salt and of course flavor all your own.

Attachments

• IMG_8310.jpeg
    IMG_8310.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0570.jpeg
    IMG_0570.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 124
Hello all! Just bought myself a Pro Series 34. I have been serious into bbqing and smoking for about a year now. I am looking to take my cooking to the next level. I am just interested, what are some of your favorite rubs that you are using and for what? I have been mainly using Head Country, which is really good. But wanting to venture out a little more. I have been looking on Amazon; there is just so much to chose from. Thanks!

Make you own my man, super easy to do, but for a pork belly friendly one, try 2 cups Kosher salt, 1 cup Costco ground Pepper, 3 TBSP smoked paprika, 1/2 cup brown sugar, shake well and go. Use this as a base and make your own addtions/subtractions to suit your tastes

25877D7F-FC4D-43DB-AB43-E1C355AAACFB.jpegWild Willy’s is a good home-made one to start experimenting with. Can go in many directions with this with adding and substituting ingredients. It is my go to for pork shoulder and ribs

I like the two main rubs from AmazingRibs.com (recipes available for FREE):
Simon and Garfunkel Rub - savory, salt-free rub for chicken, fish
Memphis Dust Rub-Excellent pork roast/ribs rub

And for beef steaks, I like this one a lot:

Ancho Coffee Rub

1/4 cup ancho chili powder
1/4 cup finely ground espresso
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper