Faulty replacement auger motor

Brett

Reaction score
Grill
Texas Elite
Has anyone recently received a new auger motor that doesn't work? I have received 2 now that are doing the same thing. I plug them in and the little fan doesn't spin. this is on any setting smoke or any temp setting. When I swap wires for the induction fan, this should cause it to spin constantly, it still won't spin. I do notice the fan twitches when it's supposed to start turning. However, it only twitches. If I flick the fan, it has enough momentum to continue spinning. The problem is the auger motor cycles on and off during cooking. Everytime it goes off. I have to flick it again to get it spinning on the next on cycle. I left it running for 3 hours to see if it needed to be broken in and warmed up. Could just be stiff from factory. This didn't work. Anyone have similar problems and figure out a solution? Traeger Technical support is understanding but not really technical. They go through the checklist and if it doesn't resolve they send you a new part. They are now sending me a new controller to see if that's the problem. I've tried these 2 motors on my friends Traeger and it's the same results. It's hard to believe I received to faulty motors from factory but anything is possible I guess...

It's either motor or controller, agree that two bad motor isn't likely.

update....I have tried 1 new controller and 3 new auger motors. Still the same problem. There doesn't seem to be enough power to get the motor to start turning. If I flick the fan it will run. However, as soon as the cycle ends and it stops, the motor will not initiate again by itself unless I flick the fan.

Anyone have a solution for this?

3 new auger motors not working, tells me that there is a bind in the auger. Either the auger screw itself is bent/distorted, or the tube has something like baked on debris that is binding the auger.

This is the first auger issue I've ever heard of.

3 new auger motors not working, tells me that there is a bind in the auger. Either the auger screw itself is bent/distorted, or the tube has something like baked on debris that is binding the auger.

This is the first auger issue I've ever heard of.
This is with the auger outside of the hopper in my hand. no resistance. However, I have figured out the solution. See my next post.

update....I have tried 1 new controller and 3 new auger motors. Still the same problem. There doesn't seem to be enough power to get the motor to start turning. If I flick the fan it will run. However, as soon as the cycle ends and it stops, the motor will not initiate again by itself unless I flick the fan.

Ok I've got the solution...no pics so I hope this explanation helps. But what it looks like is the 2 screws on either side of the fan are over torqued. That is they are too tight from factory at the wrong position. These motors don't have a lot of power and very little resistance will not allow them to start.

I have done this on 2 of 3 motors with success. What you need to do is loosen the 2 screws and take them out. 1 motor was extremely tight and I had to use some special tools after stripping the head to get it out. The other was no problem with a regular Philips screwdriver. The 3rd is at my friends where I left it. So take the 2 screws out. Then pull the fan and rotor out with the the metal bracket. Shouldn't be too hard to pull apart. Try to keep it all in one piece. Because, all you need to do is separate it and reinsert it. This seems to let everything relax a little bit and have less resistance. When putting it back together. Tighten the screws a little and turn it on momentarily. Then, turn it off and tighten the screws a little more. Turn it on to make sure it turns, off again and tighten. Repeat a couple of times to make sure it's set properly. That should do it. If it doesn't work for the 3rd motor I'll let you know. If anyone needs a video I'll make one but it seems most people looking for this problem are on Youtube and not here in the forums.

Well done Brett!, ya these geared motors are weak at the motor/fan side of the gearbox.

Auger weld broke off and issues with LEr llow heat on a new grill. Looking at Pitt Boss now my friend has two.

Latest Discussions

Back