Failed to download certificate files

It looks like the older models go to 3.00 and all newer grills with D2 go to 2.00

I'm just speculating when I suggest that the older controllers are at rev 3.x of code x and the new D2 controllers are at rev 2.x of code y.

Has anyone received their free can of rub? Wondering if they’re actually making good on that promise.
Nope they haven’t even looked at my message when I responded with my address. Idk how they’re supposed to send it to me without looking at my address.

I've got a Timberline 850 D2. And I use an iPhone.

I intentionally didn't use the grill during the initial wifi upgrade roll-out a couple weeks ago. I figured there'd be problems -- and I know never to upgrade right away when an upgrade is out. Plus, I'm in Chicago -- so it's freaking cold here lately -- so my desire to BBQ with the temps around 10F was zero.

Anyway, last week -- before they upgraded the app -- I turned on the grill (warm -- 50F -- a one-off Sunday, spring day in the dead of Chicago winter).

I literally just turned the Timberline on -- didn't do anything else. It immediately downloaded the update. I let it sit for about 15 mins, wasn't sure how long it needed to complete the update, then deleted the app from my iPhone, re-downloaded the new app -- and then went through with the the wifi connection process. Grill connected immediately.

Then it connected to my wifi (via a cheap TPLink AC750 extender -- works great -- separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz).

Then the grill registered itself with the app -- and I was back in business with Wifi.

This week, a few days after the app updated -- I went outside, turned on the Timberline -- and bingo. Connected right way to my iPhone.

Yesterday -- for the first time in 3 weeks -- I used the grill. 10 chicken thighs, 2 spatchcocked chickens. Wifi perfect.

Knock wood -- but I think I was lucky.

Zero issues.

Last edited:
Nope they haven’t even looked at my message when I responded with my address. Idk how they’re supposed to send it to me without looking at my address.
Not sure what you mean. How do you know they haven’t seen your email? And did they ask you to send them your address? They didn’t ask for that in their email to me.

Not sure what you mean. How do you know they haven’t seen your email? And did they ask you to send them your address? They didn’t ask for that in their email to me.
They had asked me to provide the info via DM on Twitter, so that’s how I know if they’ve seen the message or not (it shows you if they’ve seen the message or not)

Free rub? Do tell. I only received the original email announcing the update, which I promptly performed, breaking my WiFire.

I placed one call, the rep had no clue. He said that another email would follow but that never happened. I got mine back with the reset tip here a few weeks later.

Same here. As a software developer, that 'wizard' is a freaking joke. I can't believe that promoted that as if that was going to help solve things for people. All that is is an 'interactive' version of walking through steps we've already tried. For me, I get to a dead-end and with no other options.

It's a total JOKE!!! and another stalling tactic!!! I traeger called yesterday at 4:30 EST because I was told on Tuesday by a supervisor that it would be fixed by Friday. They told me to wait till 5 PM MST and they would release a new wizard to help me if it won't connect but it will connect by 5 MST so I wouldn't even need it. Well as you would expect I am still sitting at 01.01.06. I did call last night again about 8:30 est wich was 6:30 MST, 1.5 hours after I was told it would be fixed for me. There was no wizard yet. The tech support person who was at home cause you could hear her kids in the background transferred me to a supervisor almost immediately. Well that he was no help either but was also very frustrated because they keep on telling them the same shit. He sounded like he was ready to quit his job!! I have filled out that form twice already and plan on doing it again shortly!!

I have been watching this post for a while trying to figure this mess out. I got my grill working yesterday, finally. I have spoken to at least four people at Traeger customer service and I am sad to say this but they were totally clueless. Had I listened to them, I'd still be waiting. The new website they posted is what got be back connected (traegergrills.com/status). My issue was that the new software they installed several weeks ago broke the connection of my grill to my home network. My grill was unable to reconnect. The customer reps kept telling me to just wait for it to update. I kept telling them that my grill couldn't connect, but they said "no worries, just keep waiting, we are pushing an update." That was just wrong, you can't update something that is not connected. What finally worked for me was to reset the grill to the factory settings, which set it back to the prior grill software (NOT the 2.0). Once that was done, my grill was then able to reconnect to my network (after following the wizard directions). This is key....with the connection restored, my grill was then able to receive the updated data files (took about four hours). Once that was done, it also updated to the new software. With the new data files, the software was able to then actually function and connect to the app. It was still a bit of a convoluted process, so you have to follow the website directions very closely. Be patient and you will get it. Good luck. hope this helps.

I have been watching this post for a while trying to figure this mess out. I got my grill working yesterday, finally. I have spoken to at least four people at Traeger customer service and I am sad to say this but they were totally clueless. Had I listened to them, I'd still be waiting. The new website they posted is what got be back connected (traegergrills.com/status). My issue was that the new software they installed several weeks ago broke the connection of my grill to my home network. My grill was unable to reconnect. The customer reps kept telling me to just wait for it to update. I kept telling them that my grill couldn't connect, but they said "no worries, just keep waiting, we are pushing an update." That was just wrong, you can't update something that is not connected. What finally worked for me was to reset the grill to the factory settings, which set it back to the prior grill software (NOT the 2.0). Once that was done, my grill was then able to reconnect to my network (after following the wizard directions). This is key....with the connection restored, my grill was then able to receive the updated data files (took about four hours). Once that was done, it also updated to the new software. With the new data files, the software was able to then actually function and connect to the app. It was still a bit of a convoluted process, so you have to follow the website directions very closely. Be patient and you will get it. Good luck. hope this helps.

Glad you understood exactly what was needed, the grill must have an internet connection before anything can happen. Glad you are sorted and hopefully won't be a "DisappointedUser" much longer. I have to say that I've grown to love mine.

The key I found for smooth running is to start the grill at 250 or below, once stable go higher as needed.

I’ve gone through this process countless times and my grill still won’t update to 2.0 even while being connected to my network for the past two weeks.

I’ve gone through this process countless times and my grill still won’t update to 2.0 even while being connected to my network for the past two weeks.
Neither will mine, just sits on the factory firmware forever. Still waiting for their digital experience team to help me out...

Is it just me, or has anyone else gone through the 'set-up-wizard' on their site and they get to a blocking point? As in, there are two options to choose from, but neither of them answer the question that is being asked.

Glad you got yours to work. I reset my grill back to the factory defaults and was able to connect to the WI-FI again. It’s been 24 hours and it hasn’t downloaded the new update and it won’t connect to the app with the old software version either.

And yes customer service has nothing for me.

I'm in the same boat. It's not addressing all grills for some reason.

That's a real bummer, beyond power cycling the grill and having it get back on-line, then putting it back in standby and waiting for the network update is all you can do I think. Mine updated in just under 1 hour sitting in standby. I would periodically check the connection from my phone, once the grill updated, the app then showed "connected" and showed the grill as "sleeping"

Back