Failed to download certificate files

Anyone had this error when trying to repair their Traeger after update? My grill says version 2 but I can’t seem to get it to talk to my iPhone. When I forget the grill, delete the app, reset Wi-Fi etc it throws that error above

Your grill has failed to download certificate files
My Traeger Ironwood 885 worked perfect before the resent update. Getting the same messages and have spoken many time to techs and supervisor at Traeger with no resolution!!
So frustrating ?

Well, my Ironwood 885 has been plugged in, turned on, and connected to WiFi for just over 24 hours, and no update. :(
Same issue for me... I forgot my wifi network and tried to add it again. No luck get a different error now. Wireless taking to long to request and IP address. I am now on the factory firmware.... I got a call and email from traeger that says they have a fix and I need to call them and asked to speak to supervisor. Tried this afternoon and I was 31st person in line. Did not have time. Going to try and work on it again this weekend.

Same issue for me... I forgot my wifi network and tried to add it again. No luck get a different error now. Wireless taking to long to request and IP address. I am now on the factory firmware.... I got a call and email from traeger that says they have a fix and I need to call them and asked to speak to supervisor. Tried this afternoon and I was 31st person in line. Did not have time. Going to try and work on it again this weekend.
Wow, I’ve called them twice and they said they’d escalate my issue to IT and haven’t heard anything since.

Wow, I’ve called them twice and they said they’d escalate my issue to IT and haven’t heard anything since.
I sent them a email through there website stating that I have not heard anything on Tuesday and I called CS on Monday. On Monday they told me they were escalating to IT on that today. I waited until Tuesday afternoon to hear back from traeger IT and I did not, so I emailed them. Yesterday I got a phone call and two emails reaching out to me. The issue I have with this, is that I am at work and they need me in front of the grill. So my plan is to call or speak to someone this weekend, in hopes to resolve this. I will post what I find out.

For those that did the factory reset and are waiting for 2.0 to arrive for more than 24 hours, below are the steps Traeger sent me last night to get 2.0. I probably won't have a chance to do all of this until Saturday, but if anyone has this problem and wants to try, I'd love to here how it went.
---------------------------------------------------
Hi Joe. We apologize for the delayed reply and we believe we have found a solution to your connectivity issue. We have found more steps that need to be completed with the Factory Reset in order for it to properly work. Please follow the steps below and make sure you are completing them all *in order* and complete the list to the very end. This will help ensure the success and if this is not successful, please keep us posted. Thank you so much for both your time and patience.

1. Power cycle both phone and grill:
a. Power off phone and power back on.
b. Power off the grill by switching off power switch, wait 30 seconds, and power back on.
2. Check to see if you have the latest version of the app a. iOS – In the app follow these steps
i. Click the link labeled “More” at the bottom of the app or account link in the top left corner (Shaped like a silhouette of a person)
ii. Version number is under the Traeger logo
b. Android – In the app follow these steps
i. Select “Menu” in the top left corner
ii. Scroll to bottom and select “settings”
iii. Select the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner
iv. Select “open source licenses”
v. Version number is under the Traeger logo
3. Factory Reset Grill
a. On grill go to menu > settings > about the grill, then press and hold the ignite button until you see the Traeger logo.
4. Check the Firmware version on the grill
a. To check the firmware on the grill go to Menu > Settings > then About Grill.
5. If the firmware version is 01.01.05 or 01.01.06 forget WiFI and then go to step 7
6. If the firmware version is 01.01.04 or an earlier version, follow the below steps
a. Restart the connection process
i. Say Yes/Accept/Join to all prompts
b. Grill will Download firmware update during the pairing process
i. Wait patiently as it downloads twice (once for update, and once for certificates).
c. After naming the grill, the grill should be connected to Wifi but may not appear in the app. This is normal.
d. Check firmware (will likely be 02.00.00)
e. Forget wifi on grill controller i. menu > wifi information > forget network
f. Proceed to Step 7
7. Power cycle both phone and grill again.
b. Power off the grill by switching off power switch, wait 30 seconds, and power back on.
8. Restart the connection process
a. Say Yes/Accept/Join to all prompts
9. Grill will download firmware update during the pairing process
a. Wait patiently as it may say downloading twice (This is the second time we would be going through this process)
b. After the grill has downloaded the latest firmware, you will be taken to the name your grill screen
10. Check grill firmware for latest version Link Menu > Settings > then About Grill.

For those that did the factory reset and are waiting for 2.0 to arrive for more than 24 hours, below are the steps Traeger sent me last night to get 2.0. I probably won't have a chance to do all of this until Saturday, but if anyone has this problem and wants to try, I'd love to here how it went.
Hi Joe. We apologize for the delayed reply and we believe we have found a solution to your connectivity issue. We have found more steps that need to be completed with the Factory Reset in order for it to properly work. Please follow the steps below and make sure you are completing them all *in order* and complete the list to the very end. This will help ensure the success and if this is not successful, please keep us posted. Thank you so much for both your time and patience.

2. Check to see if you have the latest version of the app a. iOS – In the app follow these steps
i. Click the link labeled “More” at the bottom of the app or account link in the top left corner (Shaped like a silhouette of a person)
3. Factory Reset Grill
a. On grill go to menu > settings > about the grill, then press and hold the ignite button until you see the Traeger logo.
5. If the firmware version is 01.01.05 or 01.01.06 forget WiFI and then go to step 7
6. If the firmware version is 01.01.04 or an earlier version, follow the below steps
i. Wait patiently as it downloads twice (once for update, and once for certificates).
c. After naming the grill, the grill should be connected to Wifi but may not appear in the app. This is normal.
f. Proceed to Step 7
a. Wait patiently as it may say downloading twice (This is the second time we would be going through this process)
b. After the grill has downloaded the latest firmware, you will be taken to the name your grill screen
10. Check grill firmware for latest version Link Menu > Settings > then About Grill.
I’ve done this procedure several times. It does download the update, but after you enter the name of your grill, it takes you back to the page where it says to “connect to WiFire for the ultimate experience.” At this point, if you look at the firmware version, it says 2.0, but when trying to connect to the app again, you get the provisioning error and you have to start the whole process over again. Frustrating.

I’ve done this procedure several times. It does download the update, but after you enter the name of your grill, it takes you back to the page where it says to “connect to WiFire for the ultimate experience.” At this point, if you look at the firmware version, it says 2.0, but when trying to connect to the app again, you get the provisioning error and you have to start the whole process over again. Frustrating.
Disappointing. I've said from the beginning this is a problem in the mobile app. I believe the certificates in question are security certs and there's a trust issue on the mobile device so they get rejected.

3. Factory Reset Grill
f. Proceed to Step 7
This is basically the process I myself and many others have tried multiple times ad nauseam. I followed this exactly, adding in the phone power cycles (only difference to previous procedure.) The problem I have is that at step 8a, the grill connects to my WiFi, and I get the "Nickname your grill" prompt. After entering a name, the app goes right back to main screen, with no grill attached. And the grill remains connected to my WiFi, but doesn't download the v2.0.0 firmware.

To get that to happen, I must "Forget Network" on the grill, and start pairing setup once again. This time is does download v2.0.0, but then errors out with the "Grill failed to download certificate files" message. From this point on, it's a constant loop. Pair setup -> Certificate error.

Disappointing. I've said from the beginning this is a problem in the mobile app. I believe the certificates in question are security certs and there's a trust issue on the mobile device so they get rejected.
Last night I spent a few hours at least using Kali Linux to capture all WiFi packets to/from the grill. After decrypting the WiFi packets, I was able to see the HTTP messages back and forth between the phone and the grill. I did see a few times where the phone would send some pairing tokens and the grill would reply with "bad request". The last pairingtoken request was accepted, though, so not really sure if that was because the phone app was just on the newer version, while the grill was on the older 01.01.06 firmware. I'm unable to decrypt the TLS traffic between the grill and the cloud, though, so I can only see the plain HTTP traffic between phone and grill.

I've sent this whole capture to Traeger for them to look at to see if it might help explain what is going on. Since they'll have access to the private keys, they may be able to also decrypt the TLS traffic for additional insight. I'll be working with them directly later this afternoon, but at this point, I'm not sure what else we could try.

This is the shit that really upsets me.
Especially with the plans of a 12 hour cook on Sunday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200130-094104_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200130-094104_Chrome.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 235
This is basically the process I myself and many others have tried multiple times ad nauseam. I followed this exactly, adding in the phone power cycles (only difference to previous procedure.) The problem I have is that at step 8a, the grill connects to my WiFi, and I get the "Nickname your grill" prompt. After entering a name, the app goes right back to main screen, with no grill attached. And the grill remains connected to my WiFi, but doesn't download the v2.0.0 firmware.

To get that to happen, I must "Forget Network" on the grill, and start pairing setup once again. This time is does download v2.0.0, but then errors out with the "Grill failed to download certificate files" message. From this point on, it's a constant loop. Pair setup -> Certificate error.
I just went through this process to the letter twice. The first time, it downloaded the update, but then went directly to the provisioning error. It did not ask me to nickname my grill. The second time, it went straight from connecting to my network to nicknaming my grill (skipping the download process). As soon as I entered a nickname, the app took me back to the “connect to wifire” screen.

This is the shit that really upsets me.
Especially with the plans of a 12 hour cook on Sunday.
Agreed. Today on their Instagram, there was a video of an employee going through the firmware update process. Of course it worked perfectly. At the end he said, “if you have any issues, contact a customer service rep who will be happy to assist you.” Haha right.

Last night I spent a few hours at least using Kali Linux to capture all WiFi packets to/from the grill. After decrypting the WiFi packets, I was able to see the HTTP messages back and forth between the phone and the grill. I did see a few times where the phone would send some pairing tokens and the grill would reply with "bad request". The last pairingtoken request was accepted, though, so not really sure if that was because the phone app was just on the newer version, while the grill was on the older 01.01.06 firmware. I'm unable to decrypt the TLS traffic between the grill and the cloud, though, so I can only see the plain HTTP traffic between phone and grill.

I've sent this whole capture to Traeger for them to look at to see if it might help explain what is going on. Since they'll have access to the private keys, they may be able to also decrypt the TLS traffic for additional insight. I'll be working with them directly later this afternoon, but at this point, I'm not sure what else we could try.
I wonder if using a previous version of the app would work?

Agreed. Today on their Instagram, there was a video of an employee going through the firmware update process. Of course it worked perfectly. At the end he said, “if you have any issues, contact a customer service rep who will be happy to assist you.” Haha right.
Welp I'm 25th in the Q for the 5th time. Haven't had a response from them since they "escalated my case" a week ago.
Going to stop by ace hardware to see if they will do anything.
Been over 2 weeks now

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back