Exterior Paint Bubbling - Ironwood 650

JonO

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
This came up in another thread so I thought I would start a new thread here to see who has had this issue and what (if anything) Traeger has done to rectify it for you.

I had my grill for less than a week and the first time I went to sear on it, the paint bubbled in two spots where the heat shield ends. Sounds like others have had this issue as well, and are noticing bubbling in other spots as well.

I contacted the store that I bought it from and they are dealing with Traeger. So far no response.

Anyone else had this, and if so, any fix from Traeger? Seems like the exterior coating they applied isn't quite durable enough.

Attachments

• bubble 1.jpg
    bubble 1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 11,834
  • bubble 2.jpg
    bubble 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 263
I have the same issue. Both spots in the front and under the downdraft vent on the back and many spots inside...Traeger has been very difficult to deal with on this...1 month old grill...

Attachments

• 7CF18CDD-C0C9-479D-959B-79AD96532B73.jpeg
    7CF18CDD-C0C9-479D-959B-79AD96532B73.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 225410E8-6CD2-4B77-ACE9-1F4FCF9051B8.jpeg
    225410E8-6CD2-4B77-ACE9-1F4FCF9051B8.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 8CCEBC6B-C149-4242-8C51-1BE7890150A9.jpeg
    8CCEBC6B-C149-4242-8C51-1BE7890150A9.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 386D162E-2F26-4958-88F9-36F88B5E3A86.jpeg
    386D162E-2F26-4958-88F9-36F88B5E3A86.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 224
  • 09A2EA92-4AF9-43C1-8E94-08781479F5A8.jpeg
    09A2EA92-4AF9-43C1-8E94-08781479F5A8.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 217
The damage itself is quite concerning to see, but to not have some formal response from Traeger is disheartening. These grills aren't cheap and to have something like this happen when they are new leads one to wonder what the future holds for the ones we currently own.
I really hope that you both are able to garner some help from Traeger in resolving the grill issues. Not sure those grills could be fixed, but look more like a replacement would be in order.

Typical response is it’s cosmetic and doesn’t effect grill function. Which is not acceptable.

Typical response is it’s cosmetic and doesn’t effect grill function. Which is not acceptable.
I don't buy that response. If you bought a new car and the paint bubbled like that from heat it would get fixed, even if it was only cosmetic.
They should tell that to a potential buyer as opposed to someone who owns one having the problem. How many does Traeger sell then? Good news travels fast, but bad news travels faster. I suffer from a lack of social media presence, but it seems a few get some success using that to resolve issues.
I really hope that they come forward and offer a solution to the issue for both of you and anyone else having that issue.

I'm willing to grant them a bit of leeway on response time because my guess is that COVID is overwhelming them with lack of resources and a bunch of people sitting and home and grilling at a rate that is probably a lot greater than normal! That said, I'm not prepared to let this go and if they don't resolve it in the next few days I'm going to be going back to the store demanding a refund (which will also be difficult in light of COVID because the store isn't actually open!)

Well, after 2 weeks of calling with no luck. I went to the place I bought it from and they were able to reach the right Traeger Manager and she just called me to inform me they will be replacing my grill!

Awesome news MikeyR

Mine is starting on the inside. The outside is covered by the downdraft chimney so hard to tell if it is bubbled as well.
Not sure if the inside needs the paint or not. But like you guys this is only a few weeks old. The ledge has also bubbled off on that spot as well.
20200514_172002.jpg20200514_172044.jpg20200514_172035.jpg20200514_172010.jpg

So I spoke with a Traeger rep this morning and she told me that when this happens, it's usually within the first couple of cooks and usually the result of a fire in the grill (I didn't have a fire, but nonetheless). I don't have any resolution of my issue yet because they had no record of the claim that the store supposedly filed (argh!), but a manager is supposed to phone me back so I will update you when (if) that happens. I would suggest you make a claim sooner than later.

Thanks
I haven't had any fires either. I haven't used the 500°F setting except for the burn in. I used 450 on the weekend to sear my roast. Thats when that would have happened. It wasn't like that prior to the weekend cook. I always pre-clean before each cook. I noticed tonight while I prepared for a brisket tomorrow

That's a bummer. I know exactly when mine happened because I noticed it happening. It was the first time I took the heat past 275 other than the initial seasoning.

This came up in another thread so I thought I would start a new thread here to see who has had this issue and what (if anything) Traeger has done to rectify it for you.

I had my grill for less than a week and the first time I went to sear on it, the paint bubbled in two spots where the heat shield ends. Sounds like others have had this issue as well, and are noticing bubbling in other spots as well.

I contacted the store that I bought it from and they are dealing with Traeger. So far no response.

Anyone else had this, and if so, any fix from Traeger? Seems like the exterior coating they applied isn't quite durable enough.
Gday mate I had the same issue with my pro 22 the paint peeled with in the first week and took 5 months of back and forth emails to get a replacement unit which I was happy with disregarding the long winded process.
THEN My new unit done the same thing I havnt done anything about the new issue get

Man, that is super frustrating. It doesn't feel very good to have a defective product when it is so expensive.

Man, that is super frustrating. It doesn't feel very good to have a defective product when it is so expensive.
Exactly, it is more about the cost of the unit. Had I purchased a cheaper brand I probably wouldn't be concerned. But the cost of an Ironwood in CDN $$ is pretty substantial. I didnt pay as much for the self cleaning oven/stove in my house. The paint hasn't bubbled or peeled on it. That oven gets a lot higher in temperature with the self cleaning.
I had sent an online submission last Friday and haven't heard back yet. I will try the two email addresses I have and see how they respond to correcting the issue in the next day or so.
I am fortunate in the sense that mine isn't visible on the outside because it's behind the downdraft chimney. It is only really visible on the inside.

Latest Discussions

Back