Erratic heating

bbgriller

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I have a new Timerline 850. Used only 4 times. Tried to cook some smoked mac n cheese Friday. Finally gave up. The heat is so erratic. Set desired temp. at 225. After ignition it blasted up to 320 then cooled down to 150 then back up to 360 then back down to 150. That is when I gave up. This thing is a POS. Wish I had never purchased it. Any suggestions on a fix for the heating issue. Using new pellets.

Are you on the latest firmware/config? If so, call Traeger support. You shouldn't be getting that much of a swing.

That's not normal at all for the 850. It's normal for some temp overshoot at startup but it should settle down. Remember that this thing is feeding wood into a fire and the computer is watching temperature and constantly adjusting the blower and pellet feed rate to maintain a set temp. This "Servo loop" is pretty cool stuff but it has temp swings with other variables in play like wind, sun, and lid opening. Left alone, it will settle to the set temp.

I did get in touch with Traeger and they diagnosed the problem and the need to replace the thermocouple. It's now been almost three weeks and still no replacement part. Called them last week. They blame it on covid and and a back order of the part. Must be a huge issue if they can't keep the part in stock.

To me it seems that the issue would be more a controller issue. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Let's see what happens if and when I get the part. Meanwhile can't use the smoker. Should have bough brand X instead.

While you wait, be sure to leave the grill plugged in and in standby, with good WiFi signal. It will hopefully update itself to the most current firmware and configuration.
The 850 current firmware is T2.00.03 and config is 08.005

Mine did this last week.

Latest Discussions

Back