eero dual band mesh router and WiFire

Not sure if this has been resolved for you but after a lot of troubleshooting, we finally got ours connected. Make sure your phone is in airplane mode with Bluetooth disabled as well. In the Eero app, go to Settings -> Troubleshooting -> My Device Won’t Connect. From here, disable your 5 GHz temporarily. While it is disabled, go to Settings -> Advanced -> Restart network. While your router is restarting, power cycle your grill. The network will turn back on, with the 5 GHz still disabled (keep on eye on the timer) and the grill was able to connect. Hope this helps!
I am so happy Eero finally decided to make this a feature within the app. I was getting tired of calling tech support to turn off my 5 GHz every time I had to set up a new home automation device.

Sorry for reviving this zombie thread but this is the first thing that comes up when you google "traeger wifire eero." So I wanted to share my success for others searching like I was. I was having similar problems to many here, spent an hour on the phone with Traeger support to no avail. I have a Pro 575 and an eero mesh network. Never had any problems with the eero until trying to connect my grill. Finally saw on here that someone created a guest network. That work for me...once, until I tried to get it to rejoin my home network, then I couldn't join either the guest or the main network Finally after reading some more things here and other places I solved the problem. I wasn't having much success with turning off 5 Ghz, I was repeatedly getting the error "the grill could not get the time from the internet in a reasonable time" error. I'm not 100% convinced that disabling 5 Ghz in the eero app is actually disabling 5 Ghz, just my humble opinion.

This is what finally worked for me:

Connected old 2.5 Ghz only wireless router (802.11b!) to the ethernet port in the closest node to my grill. Connected my grill and phone to the old 2.5 Ghz wireless router. Did the setup process, worked flawlessly. Then I set up a guest network on my eero with the same SSID and password I used for the old 2.4 ghz router (it was a complex password too). After I turned the grill back on it connected to my eero's guest network without issue and I can see the grill in the app, even though the two networks, both named the same thing, used different security protocols.

Not the easiest solution but easy enough if you have a few old routers hanging around, especially ones that let you control them a little better. In theory this could also be done by naming the old 2.4 ghz router the same thing as your main home network and either changing or disabling the main network, then renaming it and removing the 2.4 ghz router from the network.

Sorry for reviving this zombie thread but this is the first thing that comes up when you google "traeger wifire eero." So I wanted to share my success for others searching like I was. I was having similar problems to many here, spent an hour on the phone with Traeger support to no avail. I have a Pro 575 and an eero mesh network. Never had any problems with the eero until trying to connect my grill. Finally saw on here that someone created a guest network. That work for me...once, until I tried to get it to rejoin my home network, then I couldn't join either the guest or the main network Finally after reading some more things here and other places I solved the problem. I wasn't having much success with turning off 5 Ghz, I was repeatedly getting the error "the grill could not get the time from the internet in a reasonable time" error. I'm not 100% convinced that disabling 5 Ghz in the eero app is actually disabling 5 Ghz, just my humble opinion.

This is what finally worked for me:

Connected old 2.5 Ghz only wireless router (802.11b!) to the ethernet port in the closest node to my grill. Connected my grill and phone to the old 2.5 Ghz wireless router. Did the setup process, worked flawlessly. Then I set up a guest network on my eero with the same SSID and password I used for the old 2.4 ghz router (it was a complex password too). After I turned the grill back on it connected to my eero's guest network without issue and I can see the grill in the app, even though the two networks, both named the same thing, used different security protocols.

Not the easiest solution but easy enough if you have a few old routers hanging around, especially ones that let you control them a little better. In theory this could also be done by naming the old 2.4 ghz router the same thing as your main home network and either changing or disabling the main network, then renaming it and removing the 2.4 ghz router from the network.
No worries, brother. It’s great that you found a solution. It may help someone with similar issues. I’m happy to say that my grill has remained rock solid once I finally got connected.

I'm becoming disillusioned. The fact that tech support at Eero and Traeger has not figured this out shows that neither is concerned with how this affects their businesses. I bought a Silverton 620 at my local Costco, and like everyone in this thread, I have had the same issues. I've been on the phone with both tech supports and have gone through all of their suggested attempts without success. I've had absolutely zero issues with my Eero Pro 6 mesh network since installing. I currently have forty-plus devices connected to it. A large number of them being 2.4 GHz only devices. Ranging from Nest to no-name Chinese knockoffs that all work without issues. Here is my experience with the Silverton 620
1) Purchased and tried to set up on primary 5GHz mesh. Grill finds network connects, checks connection, connects to the internet, fails with the "Could not get time in reasonable time error."
2)Disabled 5GHz in Eero network through the |Settings|Troubleshooting|My device won't connect setting. Same thing this includes multiple restarts, both grill, and network. Trying installation with QR code and manually.
3) Setting up Guest network on Eero, disabling 5GHz and restarting the network, and installing through the Guest network. Same error. I've also tried installation from Ipad and not iPhone with the same issues.
4) Traeger supports suggest sending out a new controller board. I received the board a week later installed, and I have the same error.
5) I would like to try adding an old router to the existing network to see if I can connect that way but should I or you be required to do this. I've been trying to rid my place of old computer trash during the pandemic.
6) You would think that this would not be that big of a problem to fix if you had the correct people looking at it. I don't know how much Traeger spent sending out the new controller nor what it will cost when I return this to Costco.
7) Don't get me wrong, I really like the grill, and I know I can use it manually, but that's not what I paid for.
8) I see a reference to putting your phone in Airplane mode. How can you set up the grill when you're not connected to wifi, cellular, or Bluetooth?

I guess I'm hoping either Eero or Traeger sees this and decides they should actually address the problem.

I'm becoming disillusioned. The fact that tech support at Eero and Traeger has not figured this out shows that neither is concerned with how this affects their businesses. I bought a Silverton 620 at my local Costco, and like everyone in this thread, I have had the same issues. I've been on the phone with both tech supports and have gone through all of their suggested attempts without success. I've had absolutely zero issues with my Eero Pro 6 mesh network since installing. I currently have forty-plus devices connected to it. A large number of them being 2.4 GHz only devices. Ranging from Nest to no-name Chinese knockoffs that all work without issues. Here is my experience with the Silverton 620
1) Purchased and tried to set up on primary 5GHz mesh. Grill finds network connects, checks connection, connects to the internet, fails with the "Could not get time in reasonable time error."
2)Disabled 5GHz in Eero network through the |Settings|Troubleshooting|My device won't connect setting. Same thing this includes multiple restarts, both grill, and network. Trying installation with QR code and manually.
3) Setting up Guest network on Eero, disabling 5GHz and restarting the network, and installing through the Guest network. Same error. I've also tried installation from Ipad and not iPhone with the same issues.
4) Traeger supports suggest sending out a new controller board. I received the board a week later installed, and I have the same error.
5) I would like to try adding an old router to the existing network to see if I can connect that way but should I or you be required to do this. I've been trying to rid my place of old computer trash during the pandemic.
6) You would think that this would not be that big of a problem to fix if you had the correct people looking at it. I don't know how much Traeger spent sending out the new controller nor what it will cost when I return this to Costco.
7) Don't get me wrong, I really like the grill, and I know I can use it manually, but that's not what I paid for.
8) I see a reference to putting your phone in Airplane mode. How can you set up the grill when you're not connected to wifi, cellular, or Bluetooth?

I guess I'm hoping either Eero or Traeger sees this and decides they should actually address the problem.

Weird, I am in the exact same boat you are. Same grill (bought it yesterday), Eero mesh network, same error, I tried the same troubleshooting steps. I reached out to Traeger support and they said the following:

“I will be honest everyone that has the ero has not been able to connect unless they disable thier 5g in the beginning when setting up your router. The band is sharing with a 5g it may be disabled but it's still there and will not connect. The 2.4 net has to be alone and have it's own password.”

Then they ended the chat. I have an old iPhone 6s somewhere that I might try but this seems crazy to me. I have plenty of other 2.4ghz only devices that connected just fine. Very frustrating, to say the least. BTW, Airplane mode won’t turn off WiFi (at least it doesn’t for me) but turning that on didn’t help in my case.

Wow, all this on the Eero mesh.

I have a Linksys Velop AX4200 mesh network with 4 nodes and no issues with Traeger or two TP-Link extenders that allow some ReoLink WiFi camera to work 350 feet away (all at 2.4 Mhz).

My laptops and iPads all connect at 5Mhz for fast speed just fine using the same SSID for both speeds.

Ok, after banging my head against the Traeger all day I finally got it connected. Not sure which piece of the puzzle did it but this is what I did.

1. unplugged the grill for about a minute then plugged it back in
2. Paused the 5ghz on the Eero
3. Unplugged my Eero beacons so all that was connected was the base station down in the basement on the other side of the house.

I ran through the setup again and I did get warned a couple times that the WiFi signal was weak but it connected! I connected it to my guest network too, not my main network. Man that was frustrating, but I am glad it finally connected. Let’s hope it stays connected...

Don’t forget that you can’t use the scan code under the hopper lid if you’ve installed a new controller. You will have to connect the manual way. It sounds obvious I know, but it tripped me up.

Good luck!

I spoke too soon. The grill was connected just fine and then at some point got disconnected and now won’t connect again. Very odd that I haven’t had any issues with any other devices (Wyze cams, smart plugs, security system, etc).

Weird, I am in the exact same boat you are. Same grill (bought it yesterday), Eero mesh network, same error, I tried the same troubleshooting steps. I reached out to Traeger support and they said the following:

“I will be honest everyone that has the ero has not been able to connect unless they disable thier 5g in the beginning when setting up your router. The band is sharing with a 5g it may be disabled but it's still there and will not connect. The 2.4 net has to be alone and have it's own password.”

Then they ended the chat. I have an old iPhone 6s somewhere that I might try but this seems crazy to me. I have plenty of other 2.4ghz only devices that connected just fine. Very frustrating, to say the least. BTW, Airplane mode won’t turn off WiFi (at least it doesn’t for me) but turning that on didn’t help in my case.
I spent a good deal of time with both Eero and Traeger yesterday on this issue. Traeger had me run the installation from an Ipad that was wifi only. We disabled the Bluetooth on the Ipad, disabled 5Ghz on the Eero and cleared the cache, and rebooted the grill. Same issue, the tech had escalated the case. It appears that it has something to do with the security settings of the grill and or network. Eero was never able to detect a connection with the home network, even though the grill shows connecting to my SSID and checking the internet connection. Mine fails on checking the internet connection. After a period of time, I receive could not get time from internet error. I was finally told that the issue has been escalated and a senior tech would contact me probably on Tuesday. The only other option the technician wanted to try was to do the installation from an Android phone, which I did not have.

I think the only way to get this to work would be to add an additional router to the network or change routers. I recently ditched all my old routers and I don't actually want to switch out the Eero. Up to this point, I have had zero issues with the Eero mesh. I will update this thread when I hear from Traeger.

I was able to get mine connected again last night and it stayed connected all night while I smoked a brisket. I basically had to do the same steps I mentioned earlier but it took a couple tries. I think the key in my case was that I unplugged my Eero beacon that was closest to the grill so that it had to connect to my base station which is pretty far away and in the basement.

I went ahead and added an old Apple Airport Express to the Eero network. Same SSID, extending network in bridge mode, same WPA2 password. An Ipad without cellular could connect and surf the web. Used the Ipad with Bluetooth disabled connected to the Airport Express with the Eero running in 2.4 only. Tried the installation, grill connects to Traeger wifi, connects to house SSID through Airport Express, weak signal error, hit continue, then the grill times out. I just can't seem to figure this one out. One interesting thing I noticed on trying to connect directly to the grill, Traeger wifi uses WEP for security. I didn't think anyone would have used WEP in 10 years.

Teledan, this is not a bash towards you or the information you provided. :)

Statements like that from poorly trained customer support reps that most likely have never seen a Traeger or Eero in person, is possibly why so many folks have such hard times getting up and running.

Both my Pro 575 and Ironwood 650 which I bought and setup months apart connected to my Eero Pro systems without any type of setting changes to either the grills or the routers. Both grills and Eero networks are located hundreds of miles away from each other in separate homes. When I upgraded my Eero Pros to the Eero Pro 6 systems, once again no special procedures or setting changes needed to be done. Eero does a wonderful job of steering 2.4g and 5g devices to the right network, so having to create a separate 2.4g network or use a 2.4g radio device only to setup the grill should not be necessary. One thing that both my grills and networks had in common, was that the grills were located within 15ft from a Eero. If you have more than one Eero router (some call them access points) see if you can temporarily move it as close to the grill as possible.

It is unfortunate that Traeger "support" has folks changing settings on the routers, this might just be creating more issues. Maybe Eero support might be a better resource to reach out to. I have dealt with Eero's support in the past and they have been very quick to get my questions or issues answered and solved. The Eero folks sound like they more than just top notch training but actual real world experience with the products they are supporting.

Last edited:
None of the support techs I spoke to at either Traeger or Eero were poorly trained. They actually came across as being highly trained and knowledgeable with both the equipment and networking in general. This still does not explain the many problems people are experiencing. As to the placement of my Eero equipment. I've had a puck (access point) sitting on top of the grill. I've disabled all of the access points and only used the router without success in both bands. My particular grill is the Silverton 620. Traeger sent out a new controller board and I had similar issues with it. I agree this should not be an issue. No, I haven't had any issues with the Eero 6 network and I have it currently working fine with 62 devices attached. I am not a networking guru but I know my way around a network. This is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. The problem is not with it seeing a network and attaching to it, it is a problem with it negotiating the connection. I had senior techs at Eero monitoring my network as the grill showed it was connected to my SSID but nothing was showing up on the actual network. Without packet monitoring, one cannot determine where and why the connection is not being negotiated. It's in everyone's interest to actually determine the cause and a fix for it.

I don't want to but tomorrow I'll replace the Eero with an old Google mesh I have and see if that works. My only beef is that I don't think this should be the end-users problem to deal with.

None of the support techs I spoke to at either Traeger or Eero were poorly trained. They actually came across as being highly trained and knowledgeable with both the equipment and networking in general. This still does not explain the many problems people are experiencing. As to the placement of my Eero equipment. I've had a puck (access point) sitting on top of the grill. I've disabled all of the access points and only used the router without success in both bands. My particular grill is the Silverton 620. Traeger sent out a new controller board and I had similar issues with it. I agree this should not be an issue. No, I haven't had any issues with the Eero 6 network and I have it currently working fine with 62 devices attached. I am not a networking guru but I know my way around a network. This is a design flaw that needs to be addressed. The problem is not with it seeing a network and attaching to it, it is a problem with it negotiating the connection. I had senior techs at Eero monitoring my network as the grill showed it was connected to my SSID but nothing was showing up on the actual network. Without packet monitoring, one cannot determine where and why the connection is not being negotiated. It's in everyone's interest to actually determine the cause and a fix for it.

I don't want to but tomorrow I'll replace the Eero with an old Google mesh I have and see if that works. My only beef is that I don't think this should be the end-users problem to deal with.
I'm pretty sure the Silverton has the same controller board (at least same wifi radio and antenna) that the Pro 575 has. I wonder what has changed in the production that has caused so many to have connectivity issues. I have had some problems with IPV6 with the particular network that my Traeger is on, so I leave it off for that network. Might sound silly but maybe try toggling the IPV6 setting. I know when I first set up my Traegers I had the ALL IPV6 settings turned off on all networks. Sorry you are having so many connectivity problems, wifi on the Traeger really worth it once you get it sorted.

Back