Dumping my Jr. for a Pro575 or 650

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I don't want to ask the same questions that have already been answered , but don't want to hijack a thread.
After experiencing multiple issues with the Junior I packed it up and returned it to Costco. Since I'm older than dirt I figured I'd spend it rather than leave it to an ungrateful youth so I'm considering the Pro575 or Ironwood 650.

I could very well be happy with the pro if the temp issues were resolved. The junior browned the burgers just fine (when it worked). I've studied the comments and can't seem to find any that praise the Pro running @ 450 degF. Has anyone experienced the 575 running at a consistent and verifiable 450 deg. F. I guess we won't know what the colder weather response is until fall.
The 650 appears to be great bang for the buck in that it leaves little to be desired. It pretty much does it all

The other killer is the 650 is on back order until last week of July (this could be another Traeger rolling back order)

They finally updated the firmware on the 575 just a day or two ago, so reportedly it will now achieve 450 degF.

I’ve had my Pro 575 for months. The new firmware update fixed all the temperature issues and it’s now an amazing grill. I didn’t get the 650 because I got a crazy deal on the 575 and the price jump was too great to justify. I’m very pleased and I kinda like the quirky smokestack ?

Most of the comments & reviews I've seen on the new Pro D2 after the v01.01.02 firmware update seem to be positive. Be sure to keep an eye on this thread: https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/traeger-d2-firmware-v01-01-02.351/

I have the Ironwood and it's been real solid. 500 degree max temps and holds lower temps very well.
Thank you for the feedback
Does the extra 50 deg high end and the lower wire rack position for steaks n burgers make a big difference? I was doing a reverse sear using my Weber Performer but that was a real asp pain . It would be nice using the traeger even if it was only caramelization. Grill marks are nice but not a necessity.
[

Thank you for the feedback
Does the extra 50 deg high end and the lower wire rack position for steaks n burgers make a big difference? I was doing a reverse sear using my Weber Performer but that was a real asp pain . It would be nice using the traeger even if it was only caramelization. Grill marks are nice but not a necessity.
[

I think the 50 degrees and lower rack position do help in high heat searing. I also purchased a set of grill grates and they increase the temps to allow good searing. I no longer need to fore the Weber up for searing.

I’ve had my Pro 575 for months. The new firmware update fixed all the temperature issues and it’s now an amazing grill. I didn’t get the 650 because I got a crazy deal on the 575 and the price jump was too great to justify. I’m very pleased and I kinda like the quirky smokestack ?
Yes $500 can be a motivator. When grilling snausages, burgers and steaks can you get caramelization? I live in central Ontario Canada and spring and fall can be cold and my Junior barely made it. I was wondering what the response was in lower ambient temps. Yeah, I like that smokestack.

Yes $500 can be a motivator. When grilling snausages, burgers and steaks can you get caramelization? I live in central Ontario Canada and spring and fall can be cold and my Junior barely made it. I was wondering what the response was in lower ambient temps. Yeah, I like that smokestack.
I’m in Toronto. I got 30% off my 575 so going to the 650 made no sense.

Rona had an online special for 20% off the most expensive item in your cart. Ordered the 575 and then took the email order receipt to a Home Depot store. Their price match policy is to beat it by 10%. That’s how I got 30% off.

I'm in Courtice Ontario. For the cooler temps plan on a blanket of some sort. I buddy of mine has had a pro 22 since 2009 and with welding blanket it will smoke decently in the cooler temps. I'm thinking the ironwood will also be decent with a blanket. Carmalization is achievable on the 650 especially with grillgrates.

If the ironwood is in the budget go for it you’ll not be sorry. I have the 650 and my only complaint is I wished I bought the 850 for more room. Hands down the ironwood is the best grill I have ever bought, my Weber has only been turned on 2-3 times this yr.

Thanks for the feedback Joshnic
I was leery of the Traeger at first, that's why I bought the Junior. Since I started using the Taeger I haven't used my propane grill. I do use my Weber Performer with the traeger for some cooks.

Latest Discussions

Back