Dumb Question #1: Pellet Choice

Rex

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
In my intro here I mentioned that I'm probably going to ask some dumb questions, and hoo boy, am I going to deliver on that prediction! Here goes dumb question #1...

So far I've been using apple pellets for pork, following the Traeger suggestions. This weekend I plan on smoking some ribs and a boston butt (separately.) I'm thinking apple is the way to go with the ribs, but for the butt I'm hankering for something with a little more heft. Besides the apple, on hand I have mesquite and the hickory/maple/cherry blend, but I think I can get oak and pecan locally on short notice. Also, as was suggested to me here, smoking a butt will help season the grill, so if there's a wood best suited for that I'm all ears. Any suggestions?

If it matters, the rub I'm using (given to me by a friend much wiser than me in these things) is basically celery salt, paprika, garlic flakes and black pepper.

I have used equal parts Apple, Maple and Hickory with good results. Hope that helps!

I'd go with the blend, save the mesquite for beef.

In my intro here I mentioned that I'm probably going to ask some dumb questions, and hoo boy, am I going to deliver on that prediction! Here goes dumb question #1...

So far I've been using apple pellets for pork, following the Traeger suggestions. This weekend I plan on smoking some ribs and a boston butt (separately.) I'm thinking apple is the way to go with the ribs, but for the butt I'm hankering for something with a little more heft. Besides the apple, on hand I have mesquite and the hickory/maple/cherry blend, but I think I can get oak and pecan locally on short notice. Also, as was suggested to me here, smoking a butt will help season the grill, so if there's a wood best suited for that I'm all ears. Any suggestions?

If it matters, the rub I'm using (given to me by a friend much wiser than me in these things) is basically celery salt, paprika, garlic flakes and black pepper.
The only dumb question is, one that isnt asked.

Reactions: Rex
A big part of my job is training, and I find myself saying that again and again. A follow up to it is, "the question you ask is the same everyone else is thinking." The young men and women I train don't want to be embarrassed by their ignorance, whereas grey beards like me a) just want to learn new things and b) are incapable of being embarrassed. One of the few advantages of getting old! :)

I have used a blend of Hickory/Maple/Cherry or a Fruit Blend of Apple/Cherry on Pork Butt and Spare Ribs with very favorable results

Well then here's another one, You guys really can tell a TASTE difference in pellets??? Seriously???

I choose hickory and mesquite for just about everything cuz I like the smell, The "taste" to me is... smoked. And whatever rub I used.

My favorites for pork are Apple and Hickory.

Hickory for Pork, Mesquite for Beef.

I also love this championship blend from B&B. It's only $14.95/40lb. at Buc-cees and Academy if you have those nearby.

1612154706561.png

Latest Discussions

Back